Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espionage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Sorry I am a bit of a noob and most of my questions appear to be general knowledge in this forum, but anyway here goes.........

How much space will it take up (including installing windows/drivers/everything else necessary to play general windows games)?

My mid range Macbook will be about the equivilent of what PC in terms of gaming strength (btw it has no extra RAM)?

Thanks in advance

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
That's pretty hard to say. Games like world of warcraft take several GB's while other graphics intensive games can take about 1-3 Gb's bargain about 2Gb per game I'd say.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Espionage said:
Sorry I am a bit of a noob and most of my questions appear to be general knowledge in this forum, but anyway here goes.........

How much space will it take up (including installing windows/drivers/everything else necessary to play general windows games)?

My mid range Macbook will be about the equivilent of what PC in terms of gaming strength (btw it has no extra RAM)?

Thanks in advance

I have my MBP set up as thus

25 GB of RAM Windows XP
Remainder belongs to OS X....I primarily use OS X, but sometimes if I'm in Windows I just don't feel like rebooting into OS X.

Espionage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Sorry i dont really mean how many GB per game, I mean how many for installing windows (and anything else that I should do before running any games).........

Apart from that, are there any other things i should be worrying about?

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Compared to Vista, XP really doesn't take up much space. My XP install - which doesn't include Office or anything like that yet - takes up 7GB.

At a rough guess, I'd say allow 5GB for Windows XP, including space for the pagefile (virtual memory).

studiox

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Stockholm / Sweden
Glen Quagmire said:
Compared to Vista, XP really doesn't take up much space. My XP install - which doesn't include Office or anything like that yet - takes up 7GB.

At a rough guess, I'd say allow 5GB for Windows XP, including space for the pagefile (virtual memory).

My fresh Windows XP takes 10 Gig, and that includes a BF2 installation, 3D mark and some other stuff. So 5 Gig would be really Ok for the system.

Drivers don't take any space :)

Espionage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
studiox said:
My fresh Windows XP takes 10 Gig, and that includes a BF2 installation, 3D mark and some other stuff. So 5 Gig would be really Ok for the system.

Drivers don't take any space :)

Thanks guys!
But what is BF2 and 3D mark etc.
Getting a copy of XP is easy, but I dont really know anything about anything else that I need.........

mcmadhatter

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Bath, UK
If space is a real concern I would consider creating your own slipstreamed reduced size installation of xp, There are many guides for this but this is the best as it splits things into beginner intermediate and advanced. I installed a version I found (which is legal if you own an unused xp license) on the internet called tiny xp, the xp cd was about 200mb (down from 580mb for a standard one) and once installed it was about 1GB!! thats because some of the rubbish that gets installed had been removed. it even included freeware media codecs instead of wmp and a few other handy freeware tools.

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Espionage said:
Thanks guys!
But what is BF2 and 3D mark etc.
Getting a copy of XP is easy, but I dont really know anything about anything else that I need.........

BF2 is a game.
3DMark is a benchmarking program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.