Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
My MBA battery just can't seem to keep me satisfied anymore. When new I was getting 4-5 hours. Now the battery is down to about 87-89% and I'm getting 3 1/2 hours tops. I see these batteries "genuine battery for MBA Apple" on eBay for $40-80 and wonder has anybody here bought one? They're definitely not Apple even though they are a genuine battery.:rolleyes:

5400 mAh's too.

In the past when buying generic batteries I've found there's always something that doesn't quite match Apple spec. Serial number, lights don't, fit on old PB feet... But the MBA batteries are hidden.

Any experience at all with generic batteries for the MBA?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No experience here, which you knew, but I started looking around the other day and found this:
BlueRaven
We Love Macs

WeLoveMacs.com has the internal battery showing part number 661-4587 for $130. It appears they claim it is the exact battery. I went to eBay and searched the part numbers only and came up with the alternative for $55. It also has the same assembly numbers.

While the Blue Raven is a refurb (can you refurb a battery?) I wonder if you can't dig deeper and find the battery that matches these numbers and try it.

I know you want opinions and such, but it also looks like on some auctions I saw that they offer a return policy if the battery doesn't work as described.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I could be wrong, but there would be trepidation on my part to just try a generic battery without at least one person saying they've had good luck with them. While parts and sizes and all will work, we all know Apple too well with their BS in ensuring something is different enough to cause it to not function.

akutad

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
I bought one on eBay. Saved tones of money. I bought from the us because I bought other apple replacement items like earbuds, ipod cables from asian countries and found it to be cheap. Don't remember exactly what I paid but I believe it was around $70.00. It was a 5500mAH.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
It's $129 from Apple I believe.

I don't think you can refurbish a battery. Well I imagine you could but it would almost be more work and money than making a new one?? iFixit sells used batteries too and I imagine if these were any good, they'd resell them themselves.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-Battery...5a15d2dc8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2595wt_1030

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It was a starting point at least. Perhaps it is used and not really "refurb". The one you linked to, despite the ridiculous page layout, also has the same part number and assembly number. For $35 I would do it. If it works then I'll get one and have it handy for when my day comes. :)

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I bought one on eBay. Saved tones of money. I bought from the us because I bought other apple replacement items like earbuds, ipod cables from asian countries and found it to be cheap. Don't remember exactly what I paid but I believe it was around $70.00. It was a 5500mAH.

Does it show up in system profiler and can you get 5500mAh's? That's pretty good juice. Charging times the same with the first super long cal.? Has it lasted as well as Apples. That may be a silly question since Apple's obviously didn't last so long, ehh.;)

Enquiring minds want to know.:)

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
i know when i ripped apart my rev c the battery was 40whr....which i cant seem to find on ebay.

i will need a replacement by xmas this year for sure.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I would look into a new battery from Apple, and I would figure out if you can buy a rev C battery. They supposedly not only hold more charge but also allow more cycles similar to new long-life MBP battery. I would stay away from an aftermarket battery as Apple's is surely better/possibly more advanced.

Good luck.

JasG

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
I would look into a new battery from Apple, and I would figure out if you can buy a rev C battery. They supposedly not only hold more charge but also allow more cycles similar to new long-life MBP battery. I would stay away from an aftermarket battery as Apple's is surely better/possibly more advanced.

I agree with Scottsdale here. My Rev. C battery gets 4-6 hours of word processing and email and web surfing, without much effort. The time you will spend doing the research and worrying about complete compatibility -- there are some really lousy secondary market batteries out there -- make the extra dough for the Apple battery worth it. Plus probably some kind of warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.