Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
F98663C7-52A8-4EDC-A635-AA6EA99938B9.jpeg

Genesis Alpha One- a real time, rogue like management game. Find it at Steam and GOG.com.

You are in a space ship tasked with the mission of bringing life to a new planet, completing a Genesis. You have to salvage materials and build your ship’s capabilities as you go, collecting space debris, sending harvesters to planets, fighting off infestations, and pirates. Your crew as yourself are clones. When you die, you are transferred to anther clone, however if all the clones die (there is a clone creation module to create more clones during routine conditions) or the bridge of the ship falls the game is over. Plus there are no manual saves. However there is a way to mitigate this somewhat.

Anyone playing? Let’s talk about it. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve started real game now, starting without a hanger, a clone factor, or a workshop, no turrets. Started with a greenhouse, crew quarters, tractor beam, and storage. I started the game by hypering around looking for frames to salvage, the primary ingredient in modules.

I‘d critique the game in that if I have a refinery, I should be able to melt down items to make any metal pieces I need, but for the tractor beam, you get what is available floating around.

But as I do this it seems harder to move to adjacent sectors without there being a ship there.
Are there abandoned ships that can be salvaged Or do they usually have Pirates? I’m going to see if I can jump to another system away from ships. That said…

I’m hypering around to different systems and so far have been able to deal with infestations by having 2 clones and me in the tractor beam module. Now I have a hanger and am debating about sending 2 clones down to the planet to harvest, but I’m afraid they will be damaged.

Suggestions? Is it risky sending clones to a planet to harvest?

I read something about healing clones, but so far surfing online have found nothing about that. And see no way to heal myself, so my guess is my health slowly drains until I croak and get transferred to a new clone.

And I have yet to figure out or find online references on how to paint modules colors. ?? :D

When do you reach a point where you find a planet worthy of genesis? I suppose there is a manufacturing capability required to accomplish a genesis.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Ships can be salvaged once you have the boarding module, not all present a risk and each sector has a safety warning at the bridge. You can also trade in some sectors, there's a access station to the left of the bridge.

Boarding for salvage is good fun especially if in a more dangerous sector really need to be on your toes :) Still trying to work out how to bring a couple of clones with me, but not even sure possible LOL.

I only go to down to the planets surface if there is a structure present to explore, if not I leave the clones to get on with it. I do however wait in the hanger for their return as they will likely bring aliens back.

Don't know about healing clones, I just create more as and when I can. Your limited by the crew quarters & biosphere; more building, more resources, more risks :)

Every time cargo from the planets is interacted with; hanger, deposit & refinery you stand a chance of an alien appearing. I place interlocking turret's to help with this which works well and I'll follow the cargo if possible.

You can paint the modules in the creator (Tab) I think or maybe the bridge. Did have a look, but never dwelled on it.

There are multiple Genesis planets I've come across 3 so far, each has it's own needs and you'll be advised of the requirements for the crew; number, atmosphere etc.

What I tend to do is focus my assets so I beam first, then go to planetfall moving around turrets and clones as needed, with time a little easier as you have more resources, equally a bigger ship which is harder to defend if boarded, remember hyperdrive away then kill of the boarders or they will just keep coming. Even then I tend to jump 2-3 sectors as I don't put it beyond GAO to have the enemy ship follow.

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The goal is to perform a Genesis where you establish life on a planet. I might not of made that clear in post 1. You fly around space while work on developing your ship’s capability, by gathering resources, and tractor beaming debris, and frequently bugs and/or aliens are brought onboard. The routine keeps you on your toes hunting down infestations. You start with some clones to help with the workload and can create more.

Some research says that boarding derelict ships, you go by yourself. Wha? Foolish! This would be a case where you want to stash a save before trying it. :) I did so, boarded by myself and was promptly killed so I reverted to my last save. Maybe I’ll try it again later.

If I have a concern is that after a while the routine starts becoming repetitious. There is no real interaction with your crew other than assigning them duties.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ships can be salvaged once you have the boarding module, not all present a risk and each sector has a safety warning at the bridge. You can also trade in some sectors, there's a access station to the left of the bridge.

Boarding for salvage is good fun especially if in a more dangerous sector really need to be on your toes :) Still trying to work out how to bring a couple of clones with me, but not even sure possible LOL.

I only go to down to the planets surface if there is a structure present to explore, if not I leave the clones to get on with it. I do however wait in the hanger for their return as they will likely bring aliens back.

Don't know about healing clones, I just create more as and when I can. Your limited by the crew quarters & biosphere; more building, more resources, more risks :)

Every time cargo from the planets is interacted with; hanger, deposit & refinery you stand a chance of an alien appearing. I place interlocking turret's to help with this which works well and I'll follow the cargo if possible.

You can paint the modules in the creator (Tab) I think or maybe the bridge. Did have a look, but never dwelled on it.

There are multiple Genesis planets I've come across 3 so far, each has it's own needs and you'll be advised of the requirements for the crew; number, atmosphere etc.

What I tend to do is focus my assets so I beam first, then go to planetfall moving around turrets and clones as needed, with time a little easier as you have more resources, equally a bigger ship which is harder to defend if boarded, remember hyperdrive away then kill of the boarders or they will just keep coming. Even then I tend to jump 2-3 sectors as I don't put it beyond GAO to have the enemy ship follow.

Q-6
I’ve learned that back on the ship, the clones will heal, but not sure if bio material is required in the bio tank. A Zen garden excellerates healing.

Also figured out how to paint modules, the floor, walls and equipment like doors can be painted individual colors. I used it to paint a path to the turbo lift, so I did not have to reference the ship’s map as often.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I’ve learned that back on the ship, the clones will heal, but not sure if bio material is required in the bio tank. A Zen garden excellerates healing.

Also figured out how to paint modules, the floor, walls and equipment like doors can be painted individual colors. I used it to paint a path to the turbo lift, so I did not have to reference the ship’s map as often.
Good idea to colour code the floor to help with in ship navigation :)

Q-6

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Have playing this for about a week, I’ve decided GAO is a bit too much micromanagement and repetitious and have set it aside for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.