Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfscott

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Ok, need some help.

My mid 2010 MBP with current Mountain Lion (10.8.1) has been randomly freezing with the spinning ball. One trip to the Genius bar resulted in temporary help after repairing the permissions, killing some background processes that ran on start-up and other clean-up/disk repair tasks.

Later that day, the problem returned, and so did I to a different Genius bar. There, they kept the machine for a couple of days to observe, reinstalled 10.8.1 and "fixed some memory allocation issues."

Back at it. Still getting the beach ball freezes. I can't replicate the circumstances as it is somewhat random. Seems to kick in when going between browser (both firefox and safari) and MS Office apps and a save to disk...but again, it's random and not repeatable on demand. I just had it happen loading a Web page and nothing else.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled Office, although it never asked me for my product key and seemed to remember the old one. The .plist file for the product key doesn't seem to be in /library/permissions as it should, nor is there a /library/microsoft folder.

I called the store back to ask what to do next; no one got back to me today, so in an effort to avoid the definition of insanity and go back, thought I'd see what you all had to say.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I can't replicate the circumstances as it is somewhat random...

...but again, it's random and not repeatable on demand. I just had it happen loading a Web page and nothing else.

Nobody, neither genius, leprechaun or god will ever be able to help isolate a random issue. You'll have better luck with a quart of scotch, one rabbit's foot and a clean install.

And I'd take my time loading what you suspect are the offending apps, doing it slowly until you're sure they aren't the cause.

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Ok, need some help.

My mid 2010 MBP with current Mountain Lion (10.8.1) has been randomly freezing with the spinning ball. One trip to the Genius bar resulted in temporary help after repairing the permissions, killing some background processes that ran on start-up and other clean-up/disk repair tasks.

Later that day, the problem returned, and so did I to a different Genius bar. There, they kept the machine for a couple of days to observe, reinstalled 10.8.1 and "fixed some memory allocation issues."

Back at it. Still getting the beach ball freezes. I can't replicate the circumstances as it is somewhat random. Seems to kick in when going between browser (both firefox and safari) and MS Office apps and a save to disk...but again, it's random and not repeatable on demand. I just had it happen loading a Web page and nothing else.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled Office, although it never asked me for my product key and seemed to remember the old one. The .plist file for the product key doesn't seem to be in /library/permissions as it should, nor is there a /library/microsoft folder.

I called the store back to ask what to do next; no one got back to me today, so in an effort to avoid the definition of insanity and go back, thought I'd see what you all had to say.

Do you have an external drive plugged in? That can cause beachballs when accessing a save or open dialog because the system is waiting for the external drive to spin up.

ratfink

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2012
In my experience random freeze-ups like this that don't cause crashes are usually due to file system issues. Repairing permissions won't necessarily detect a failing drive. I'd try "verify disk" first and then run a low-level check with fsck.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
In my experience random freeze-ups like this that don't cause crashes are usually due to file system issues. Repairing permissions won't necessarily detect a failing drive. I'd try "verify disk" first and then run a low-level check with fsck.

Also make sure the smart disk status in Disk Utility isn't showing a problem with the drive.

sfscott

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Do you have an external drive plugged in? That can cause beachballs when accessing a save or open dialog because the system is waiting for the external drive to spin up.

Only a time capsule over the WLAN. But the problem happens when not on a network

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
Only a time capsule over the WLAN. But the problem happens when not on a network

Does it only happen off the network?

If so, you might have an answer there... it could be that the time capsule is set as a default save location for one of your apps, or there is app data sitting on the Time Capsule it is looking for?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I'm reviving an old thread because my old mid 2010 13" MBP was having a lot of the spinning beachballs. So recently I replaced the original HD with an SSD and increased the RAM from 8GB to 16GB, also replaced the battery. The machine is much faster but I still get a fair amount of spinning beachballs in Safari, usually with Facebook or YouTube videos. If I close Safari and re-open it then it's fine. Some one suggested it could be the drive cable. Apparently they can get pinhole abrasions and short with the case, they suggested taping them from the case or replacing them altogether. I'm not convinced that's the problem with mine, but what do I know? Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.