Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hinsight4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
I was a regular Gentoo user for awhile before I made my jump to Mac and recently heard about Fink. (Along with Darwinports..etc, there's many) Point being, while Fink is great (gives me nightmares of compiling software just to get a text editor though....miss emerge) I came across Gentoo for Mac Tiger. Was just wondering if anyone had played around with it before. And do I really need to get rid of my XFree86 and replace it with Apple's X11? Thanks.

Matt

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
kingjr3 said:
Alright, I'll bite...

why would you want to run Linux on top of OS X?

Dual boot, I can buy... but embedded?

Well this is actually on gentoo-wiki :eek: . Still not buying it tho.

Anyway Hinsight, isn't there a PPC version of Gentoo? I'm sure that would be a lot more useful, besides you probably already know how to install that one.

Hinsight4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2005
Why would I want to do what I already know how to do? There's no fun in that:) But honestly, I don't need or want to deal with a dual boot or get rid of tiger, I just wanna be able to startx and get gnome up and running. That would allow me to do a lot more than just dual boot. thx.

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
Hinsight4 said:
Why would I want to do what I already know how to do? There's no fun in that:) But honestly, I don't need or want to deal with a dual boot or get rid of tiger, I just wanna be able to startx and get gnome up and running. That would allow me to do a lot more than just dual boot. thx.

hmm..., well that Gentoo for OS X doesn't look very real... However, I think you can run Gnome (plain, non-distro Gnome) on OS X via Fink (which you said you don't like) and other similar software like Darwin Ports and the other, what's-its-name... Damn, I forgot, but I think there's another software that lets you build and then run Gnome on OS X.

I just realized you did mention Darwin Ports, hehe. Well, the link to gentoo-wiki I posted above has a Howto. If it is real I'm sure that's the way to go...

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
kingjr3 said:
Alright, I'll bite...

why would you want to run Linux on top of OS X?

Dual boot, I can buy... but embedded?

Gentoo on OS X is not running Linux on top of OS X any more than using fink is running Linux on top of OS X. Gentoo on OS X is a package management and installation system for open source software.

Gentoo on OS X is a fink replacement if you prefer the gentoo package management over the debian package management that fink uses. Gentoo for x86 and Gentoo for SPARC both keep the packages very current so I would assume that Gentoo on OS X is also very up to date. At least it couldn't be any worse than fink.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
mrichmon said:
Gentoo on OS X is not running Linux on top of OS X any more than using fink is running Linux on top of OS X. Gentoo on OS X is a package management and installation system for open source software.

Gentoo on OS X is a fink replacement if you prefer the gentoo package management over the debian package management that fink uses. Gentoo for x86 and Gentoo for SPARC both keep the packages very current so I would assume that Gentoo on OS X is also very up to date. At least it couldn't be any worse than fink.

My bad...just a poorly selected name in the otherwise crowded package manager ring...

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
It's the Gentoo emerge command (which is wonderful, by the way) for OS X. I haven't installed this yet, but I'd like to soon. Currently, I'm running Gentoo on my linux/win box, but unfortunately I think I'll have to switch to the distro my lab runs, which is Redhat based.

MWP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.