Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Hello,
I have set up HomeKit to open my front gate when I enter a radius around my house.

The automation on average works but sometimes only too late, i.e. when I have already arrived at home despite I have chosen a big radius of the geofencing parameter (around 500 meters around my house).

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? How could I solve it?

Thanks,
Dan

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Geofencing relies on your mobile phone internet connection so all I can think of is a poor signal in the car perhaps?

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Geofencing relies on your mobile phone internet connection so all I can think of is a poor signal in the car perhaps?

Actually not, as said it is not 100% but it is consistently more than 50%.

What else could I check?

Could it be depending on the IOS that maybe needs improvement? I am running latest IOS.

Is is quite annoying as it is not reliable.

Any other idea?
Thanks,
dan

lankox

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System services -> Homekit (make sure it is toggled on)

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Background geofencing has been unreliable ever since the release of iOS 11. A number of apps have had their functionality completely broken because of this issue, so I'm not at all surprised that Homekit is affected as well. I have a simple automation which turns a switch on when anyone arrives home, and off when everyone leaves. It hasn't worked correctly for weeks.

Reactions: dcaccount

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Keep all the system services on (except iAds, your choice) in location services. Keep the phone out of your pocket, bag, purse, etc so it can pickup wifi, bluetooth, cell and GPS signals. And keep it on charge if possible.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
Keep all the system services on (except iAds, your choice) in location services. Keep the phone out of your pocket, bag, purse, etc so it can pickup wifi, bluetooth, cell and GPS signals. And keep it on charge if possible.
That is a good piece of advice.

I have never had any issues with geofencing and I just do as posted above. WiFi, BT, Cell constantly turned ON, phone is on a car holder, being charged, and everything works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.