Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I’m using Duolingo to learn German and I turned on the German keyboard to help with spelling. It’s been a huge help so far, but it seems like it’s missing some words.

I guess the big one right now is the verb “fressen” (meaning “to eat” for animals) and it’s conjugated forms don’t show up.

For instance:
Code:
Der Hund frisst Brot.

Is this an error in Apple’s keyboard or is this a case of Duolingo teaching a slang or uncommonly used word? Can any German speakers help me out?

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
I’m using Duolingo to learn German and I turned on the German keyboard to help with spelling. It’s been a huge help so far, but it seems like it’s missing some words.

I guess the big one right now is the verb “fressen” (meaning “to eat” for animals) and it’s conjugated forms don’t show up.

For instance:
Code:
Der Hund frisst Brot.

Is this an error in Apple’s keyboard or is this a case of Duolingo teaching a slang or uncommonly used word? Can any German speakers help me out?

Wow, that is strange. The Apple Keyboard really does not show up all conjugated forms of „fressen“. Neither „frisst“ in „Der Hund frisst das Futter.“ nor „fressen“ like in „Die beiden Hunde fressen gemeinsam.“
That is weird!

I am German and thus using the german Keyboard all the time, but I never noticed that issue with „fressen“.
But as you can see, it happens on my iPhone, too. And it is set to German system wide.

And no - the verb „fressen“ is not slang at all!
It is used as you learned, „to eat“ for animals.
It is also used as slang if someone is eating really fast and/or a lot at a time. But it is a common and normaly used word.

Attachments

• 949F120F-A97A-4837-BFC4-D8D8D92E46C3.png
    949F120F-A97A-4837-BFC4-D8D8D92E46C3.png
    260.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like I'll be filing a bug report.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.