Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You would have to switch back to Windows, where the desktop icons appear on the left side by default. It does that because early in computer industry history, Microsoft set about copying the Mac, but to prevent accusations of direct copying they pretty much built it as an upside-down and backwards copy of the Mac.

If you consider how western culture communicates, we read left to right and top to bottom. That makes the top and left side real estate more valuable. Thus, Mac apps open windows at the top and left by default. The right side of the screen was therefore more open and available, and it makes sense that icons go over there. Windows has it backwards.

You might appreciate these tips for Windows switchers: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204216

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
So the OP wants something like this...
doable maybe, just not practical.

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 3.03.21 PM.png

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
anyone can move their desktop icons to the left. the point seems to be, when you make a new folder (for example) it shows up on the right. outside of an app (or hack?)... no way to default to the left.

Reactions: defunder

RayBir

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2019
Sweden
When i right click on the "left" side of the desktop to add a new folder, it appears.... on the left side, allways has done. Just a matter of moving it where i want and then "cleaning up".

Just my two pennies worth.

Reactions: crjackson2134

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
When i right click on the "left" side of the desktop to add a new folder, it appears.... on the left side, allways has done. Just a matter of moving it where i want and then "cleaning up".

Just my two pennies worth.

does no one read the OP post? of course that happens, and, of course, you move things to the left (or to the center, or top, or bottom, or...). this is not the same as items defaulting to the left...

RayBir

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2019
Sweden
does no one read the OP post? of course that happens, and, of course, you move things to the left (or to the center, or top, or bottom, or...). this is not the same as items defaulting to the left...
You said it defaults to the right when you create a new folder, which is correct, but using the mouse you can click on the left and thats where it will be. Thats why i don't use the "normal" method: "file/new folder". Another wasted 2 pennies.

Anyway, seems like there is no solution as per the request..... i guess.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
You said it defaults to the right when you create a new folder, which is correct, but using the mouse you can click on the left and thats where it will be. Thats why i don't use the "normal" method: "file/new folder". Another wasted 2 pennies.

Anyway, seems like there is no solution as per the request..... i guess.

fair enough. making a new folder from the menu puts it on the right; right-click puts it near the cursor...

jrmcmaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2023
You would have to switch back to Windows, where the desktop icons appear on the left side by default. It does that because early in computer industry history, Microsoft set about copying the Mac, but to prevent accusations of direct copying they pretty much built it as an upside-down and backwards copy of the Mac.

If you consider how western culture communicates, we read left to right and top to bottom. That makes the top and left side real estate more valuable. Thus, Mac apps open windows at the top and left by default. The right side of the screen was therefore more open and available, and it makes sense that icons go over there. Windows has it backwards.

You might appreciate these tips for Windows switchers: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204216
So now that Mac covers the entire screen when you open a window, shouldn't this be an option? The "it just isn't logical" argument no longer applies, not that it was much help to the person's question to begin with.

The question was how to get it to default to the left instead of the right. Rather than providing a helpful answer, you opted for the typical Mac user response by telling them to go back to where they came from and then gave a history lesson on why you think Mac is right and everything else is wrong.

Yes, I have grown to love how my MacBook operates way more than my PC, but there are still things that I see with Mac that just make more sense with how Windows does it. For example, as you stated, the way we read in the Western world is from the Top Left, moving to the right and down. When I look at a screen, I am reading through what is on the screen, and therefore, I look at the top left first. It is no different than when you open Finder, the icons are where? The top left. It isn't logical to do it differently on the home screen than everywhere else.

The biggest issue I have had with trying to find help learning Mac is the sheer level of condescension from Mac users. Most of you treat those who swap like complete idiots. The vast majority of "help" I see in forums like this is people doing exactly what you've done. Telling others to hit the road if they don't like it and then telling them why they are wrong for preferring it another way than what Mac forces. It is appalling.

• Love

defunder

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
I'm sorry you don't. Thinking there is "right and wrong" within personal computing is wrong. We should all be able to use these machines however it benefits us and makes our workflows easier, not worrying about a pissing contest from 40 years ago.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I can agree with my your desire. But the fact is these things exist in code, and the coders have to make decisions during design that are then locked in.

Windows doesn’t arrange icons like the Mac, because it’s coded differently. Macs don’t have menus at the top of windows. Windows doesn’t have a menu bar at the top of the screen. Other systems may be more flexible but I am not familiar enough with other systems to know for sure.

Maybe in the future, AI will become such a huge part of technology that every user will have a personal experience with their machines and then you might be able to customize it to your liking.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.