Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leoclark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I am desperate. I work with TV / Film and I copy huge amounts of data and files to and from external drives and I normally use Get Info to check the number of items and make sure the copies are exactly the same.

Since OS X 10.7.2 the numbers I get from 2 exact copies ARE DIFFERENT!
Sometimes it takes a minute and the number is updated, but sometimes it is REALLY wrong. I open the folder, count the files manually and the number on the Get Info dialog is simply WRONG. Even with like 17 files only.

Please help!
Thanks.

Leo

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I am desperate. I work with TV / Film and I copy huge amounts of data and files to and from external drives and I normally use Get Info to check the number of items and make sure the copies are exactly the same.

Since OS X 10.7.2 the numbers I get from 2 exact copies ARE DIFFERENT!
Sometimes it takes a minute and the number is updated, but sometimes it is REALLY wrong. I open the folder, count the files manually and the number on the Get Info dialog is simply WRONG. Even with like 17 files only.

Please help!
Thanks.

Leo

you might now this but when you delete something from an external you have to empty trash to get accurate reading on remaining external drive info

leoclark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks a lot guys!!
Unfortunately the problem is still happening.
I've tried the refresh folder app, but nothing.
I am staring at a folder on my internal disk with 24 files, but Get Info insists that it has 25 files.
I will update to 10.7.3 soon and post a new reply.
Cheers!

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Finder only shows .DS_Store in filecount at bottom of window when you make the file visible.
Here's an AppleScript that'll let you test that out:
Code:
set buttonpressed to button returned of (display dialog "Show Hidden Files?" buttons {"Yes", "No"})

try
	if the buttonpressed is "No" then do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF"
	if the buttonpressed is "Yes" then do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles ON"
	do shell script "killall Finder"
end try

leoclark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I have tried the show hidden files option, but finder does not include the hidden file (ds*) on the file count. The particular folder I was looking at is now actually right. This problem is very inconsistent. It seems that if I leave the Get Info dialog window open, it will sometimes correct itself after a long time.
I will try the OS upgrade soon.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
The particular folder I was looking at is now actually right.
So sluggish Finder action is probably the culprit here.
I'm on 10.7.3 and haven't noticed the problem since updating, but as you say, it's an inconsistent thing, and I'm not doing a lot of copying and moving just now.

leoclark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
It is really hard to believe. I upgraded to 10.7.3.
It seemed as if it was ok, but it is not, maybe a little better.
But one thing is for sure: I NEVER had this with 10.6.8 on my laptop.
Anyway, thanks a lot everyone.

PS. One more question: Do you guys know if people from Apple read this forum?
I would be ashamed to be part of an OS team that screws something that was working well before and says nothing about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.