Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
How can I stream Netflix (480p or lower) on a 600mhz G3 iMac? I know Netflix supports HTML 5 video. The iMac should barely be powerful enough to stream video as the Nintendo Wii has a similar PowerPC processor and can stream video fine.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
How can I stream Netflix (480p or lower) on a 600mhz G3 iMac? I know Netflix supports HTML 5 video. The iMac should barely be powerful enough to stream video as the Nintendo Wii has a similar PowerPC processor and can stream video fine.

Completely out of the question. Your iMac can just about play 360P compressed h264 video with Mplayer - anything higher and/or streamed through a browser is beyond reach.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
HTML5 playback requires a DRM extension that isn't available in TenFourFox so it's not possible even with a G5 Quad.
YouTube works on TenFourFox. YouTube is only HTML5 only since summer of 2017. If Netflix doesn't work on TFF, what about Safari or webkit? I don't wanna damage the machines trying to run stuff on them that could break them.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
YouTube works on TenFourFox. YouTube is only HTML5 only since summer of 2017. If Netflix doesn't work on TFF, what about Safari or webkit? I don't wanna damage the machines trying to run stuff on them that could break them.

You'll never break the machine by running software that doesn't work :)

Again, Netflix requires a DRM component which TFF doesn't have - neither do any of the PPC web browsers, and even if it did, the iMac simply doesn't have enough power to stream the video.

Search the other Netflix threads on here if you don't believe me.

Reactions: Lastic

Lastic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2016
North of the HellHole

We've been there and it is not working .

See my previous attempt on the 6th of April 2017.

The DRM extension needs to work in the HTML5 part of the browser .
The only browser currently supporting HTML5 like Intel Firefox on Mac , and running on PowerPC is TenFourFox.
Since there is no Google Chrome based browser for PowerPC , we only have Firefox derivatives but TenFourFox doesn't
support the DRM thingie in HTML5 needed by Nextflix (yet I hope).

A mention by Cameron Kaiser (the author of TenFourFox) here

https://tenfourfox.tenderapp.com/discussions/suggestions/3507-enabling-drm-audio-in-tff-for-spotify

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronecatcher

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany

You can do the handsome "Video-Stream-Cheat" including an iOS-device, a lot of adapters and an encoder box.
(iOS-out: Digital2Analog => Mac-in: Analog2Digital with external box) :D
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...t-about-imovie06-howto.2042289/#post-24523807

Same (but less cumbersome) for audio-streaming via LineIn (OSX) or through the system-settings (os9): #6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.