Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Success, finally! :) 🎈🎈🎈

Following the failure in using the mas-cli for this I proceeded to install MacOS 13 (Monterey) on an external USB-harddrive attached to my Mac.
I used Opencore legacy patcher for this along with a USB-flash drive (used for downloading and creating the MacOS installer file to). It took a while to install, with several reboots, but once done and booted into MacOS 13 Monterey I used my wife's Apple ID to log into the Mac App store where I could download and install the current version of Pages (and other apps no longer supporting older versions of MacOS while I was at it).
Once that was done I went to my wife's computer (MacOS 10.14), opened up the Mac App store, clicked on her name, and sure enough: Pages and those other apps I had just downloaded (within MacOS 13.6) were available in the list of previously purchased apps!
So I simply chose to download/install them, and was alerted that the current version doesn't support this OS, but I could download the latest compatible version for my OS if I wanted. So I did that and all went well!

I chose to install MacOS 13 on an external drive because I have no need or intention of using it daily (it's not officially supported on my Mac, runs very slowly on it, and I need to access other apps that only work on older OSes), and I didn't want to mess up the existing setup, so it was great to do it this way.

Now if I could only remove Homebrew, mas-cli, Xcode and all the other stuff she won't need.
Does anyone know how?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.