Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moon Team

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Moon Team is delighted to share that our spatial video player, Moon Spatial Player, will be making its debut on the Apple Vision Pro's app store on February 2nd. We are particularly excited as Moon is one of the first third-party apps to hit the store, and we can't wait for you to experience the immersive possibilities it brings to your Apple Vision Pro.

🌕 Moon Spatial Player: A Brief Introduction

Moon Spatial Player is a cutting-edge spatial video player that takes your multimedia experience to a whole new level. With a focus on seamless integration with Apple Vision Pro's platform, Moon Spatial Player delivers an unparalleled immersive experience that will redefine the way you engage with spatial video content.

📝 Feature List:
  • Support various rendering modes: 360, 180, SBS (to be tested on real device), OU (to be tested on real device)
  • Support various video files: "mp4", "avi", "rmvb", "mpeg", "wmv", "mkv", "mov", "flv", "3gp", "webm", "ts", "3g2", "3gp2", "3gpp", "amv", "asf", "divx", "dv", "evo", "f4v", "hdmov", "m1v", "m2v", "mp2v", "m2t", "m2ts", "m4v", "mk3d", "mod", "mp4v", "mpg", "mpv2", "mpv4", "mts", "mxf", "ogm", "ogv", "p2v", "rm", "tp", "VOB"
  • Built-in DLNA
  • Support importing videos from Files app
  • Support importing SMB videos from Files app (to be tested on real device)
  • Support importing videos from Photos app
  • Support importing videos from various third-party apps through the share menu
  • Support batch import
🖥Link you may need

:apple:App Store (installed available only on Vision Pro):https://apps.apple.com/us/app/moon-spatial-player/id6475702609
⚒️TestFlight:https://testflight.apple.com/join/jvjbvKYm
💻Official Website: https://moonvrplayer.com/spatial-video-player

To celebrate this milestone, we invite all the early adopters of Apple Vision Pro to be among the first to try out Moon Spatial Player. We encourage you to comment below to let them know your thoughts, suggestions, and feature requests. Your input will play a crucial role in enhancing Moon Spatial Player and making it an even more incredible experience for everyone.
Join us on this exciting journey, and let's create something extraordinary together. Don't miss out on the chance to be a pioneer with Moon Spatial Player on Apple Vision Pro!
Stay tuned for updates, and see you on February 2nd!

Moon Team🌙

Toss-

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2021
Thanks, I this is just what I was looking for. Previously I had used HereSphere on Oculus.

robert91303

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2020
Hey @gerald.d , Moon Spatial Player really not working. I was able to get one tiny regular iPhone video to play from my iClouid Photos, but the player won't open SBS 180 MP4's. I've tried copying the files directly to the AVP and even putting them in the Moon folder. Nada. There are a lot of folks saying the same over on the Discord. Was this working before the version posted today? I hope something can be done to get it working.

Reactions: APtalent

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Hey @gerald.d , Moon Spatial Player really not working. I was able to get one tiny regular iPhone video to play from my iClouid Photos, but the player won't open SBS 180 MP4's. I've tried copying the files directly to the AVP and even putting them in the Moon folder. Nada. There are a lot of folks saying the same over on the Discord. Was this working before the version posted today? I hope something can be done to get it working.
Ok that's disappointing to hear. Hopefully the developers will get it fixed quickly, because they are promising a lot.

Reactions: APtalent

dwhite601

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
How do you get files into the Files app? I'm used to plugging in a memory stick into my iPad and copying them from there. Since Vision Pro doesn't have a USB port, I tried AirDrop from my Mac Mini. Photo and video formats VisionOS recognizes are successfully sent to the Photos app, but my 3D camcorder video files fail to transfer.

On a positive note, my 4K camcorder videos with merged in 4 channel surround sound played perfectly in the Moon Spacial Player. The 3D sound worked great and I could make out the direction of sound sources from any direction!

David

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
This doesn’t seem to work at all. I have tried a number of VR MP4 files I have downloaded and clicking on them does nothing.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

dwhite601

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
I figured a way to reliably copy video files to the Files App on Vision Pro by placing the files in a folder, then dragging the folder to the AirDrop icon for my Vision Pro. After they transfer, I get a dialog box where I can save the folder to the Files App's Download folder.

It still tries to upload to the 'Cloud' even after I turned off that syncing option. I'm still working on weaning my Vision Pro off of Apple's server.

As for the Moon Spatial Player App, I could not get it to play 3D video in the AVCHD 3D format from my Panasonic Z10000 3D camcorder. I tried the individual MTS file as well as the whole AVCHD archive file. Apple failed to play this video as well.

Moon Spatial Player also failed to play 3D video files from my JVC HD1 3D camcorder (MP4 extension). Apple's software did play this file, but in 2D.

Last, I tried to get the Moon Spacial Player App to play an old MPEG2 file from my Sony FX1 camcorder. This file is in the HDV, MPEG2 format (1440x1080). It couldn't play it either.

What worked well for me was my JVC HMQ10 4K files (3840x2160) reencoded to HEVC codec. The files were 59.94fps and I saw some motion judder which is to be expected for viewing that frame rate on a 90Hz display. I suspect 24fps would look smoother since the Vision Pro can display at 96Hz (4 times 24).

As I mentioned above, audio playback for the 5.1 surround sound portion of my JVC 4K files was excellent.

As tacoshell mentioned, selecting on an incompatible video file does nothing. The app needs to provide the user better feedback.

David

Moon Team

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
This doesn’t seem to work at all. I have tried a number of VR MP4 files I have downloaded and clicking on them does nothing.
The Moon Spatial Player actually works well on the Vision Pro Simulator and that's why we can pass Apple's review. Yet, it seems that the app's behavior is different on real device. The team has just received Vision Pro device and is working on those issues now. Please stay tuned and we'll try to fix those issues asap.

Moon Team

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
The Moon Spatial Player actually works well on the Vision Pro Simulator and that's why we can pass Apple's review. Yet, it seems that the app's behavior is different on real device. The team has just received Vision Pro device and is working on those issues now. Please stay tuned and we'll try to fix those issues asap.

Moon Team

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Ok that's disappointing to hear. Hopefully the developers will get it fixed quickly, because they are promising a lot.

Moon Team

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
I figured a way to reliably copy video files to the Files App on Vision Pro by placing the files in a folder, then dragging the folder to the AirDrop icon for my Vision Pro. After they transfer, I get a dialog box where I can save the folder to the Files App's Download folder.

It still tries to upload to the 'Cloud' even after I turned off that syncing option. I'm still working on weaning my Vision Pro off of Apple's server.

As for the Moon Spatial Player App, I could not get it to play 3D video in the AVCHD 3D format from my Panasonic Z10000 3D camcorder. I tried the individual MTS file as well as the whole AVCHD archive file. Apple failed to play this video as well.

Moon Spatial Player also failed to play 3D video files from my JVC HD1 3D camcorder (MP4 extension). Apple's software did play this file, but in 2D.

Last, I tried to get the Moon Spacial Player App to play an old MPEG2 file from my Sony FX1 camcorder. This file is in the HDV, MPEG2 format (1440x1080). It couldn't play it either.

What worked well for me was my JVC HMQ10 4K files (3840x2160) reencoded to HEVC codec. The files were 59.94fps and I saw some motion judder which is to be expected for viewing that frame rate on a 90Hz display. I suspect 24fps would look smoother since the Vision Pro can display at 96Hz (4 times 24).

As I mentioned above, audio playback for the 5.1 surround sound portion of my JVC 4K files was excellent.

As tacoshell mentioned, selecting on an incompatible video file does nothing. The app needs to provide the user better feedback.

David

dwhite601

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
I discovered, by using your app, two very Mac like user interfaces that I really appreciate. The first was the customized side panel. Apple calls in the 'Tab bar'. It functions like the menu bar in MacOS and is really useful.

The other is the file requestor I got when I made the decision to choose from the Files app or Album. It also functions a lot like the ones in MacOS.

Many of us have been wanting the iPadOS to be more Mac like. It looks like Apple added some of that functionality to Vision OS and your team took advantage of it. Great!

I'm an software engineer and know all too well the value of integration tests. I'm looking forward to further enhancements to your app.

When you have it finished you might be interested in making a 3D photo app. VisionOS doesn't know what to do with .MPO photos from my 3D Fuji 3DW3 camera so we could use a 3D photo aware app like your video player.

I also have many Ricoh spherical photos that need a compatible app for the Vision Pro.

Feel free to contact me if you need samples from my 3D and spherical media collection to test with. In summary, I have media from

Fuji 3DW3 (3D stills MPO, modified JPEG)
JVC TD1 (3D video MP4)
Panasonic Z10000 (3D video AVCHD 3D)
Ricoh Theta (spherical stills)
Human.Eyes Vuse360 (3D spherical video)

David

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
A 3D Swiss Army knife program like this for photos would be incredible. There are a hodgepodge of different formats and file types that would be amazing to view in 3D on the AVP.

Moon Team

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
I discovered, by using your app, two very Mac like user interfaces that I really appreciate. The first was the customized side panel. Apple calls in the 'Tab bar'. It functions like the menu bar in MacOS and is really useful.

The other is the file requestor I got when I made the decision to choose from the Files app or Album. It also functions a lot like the ones in MacOS.

Many of us have been wanting the iPadOS to be more Mac like. It looks like Apple added some of that functionality to Vision OS and your team took advantage of it. Great!

I'm an software engineer and know all too well the value of integration tests. I'm looking forward to further enhancements to your app.

When you have it finished you might be interested in making a 3D photo app. VisionOS doesn't know what to do with .MPO photos from my 3D Fuji 3DW3 camera so we could use a 3D photo aware app like your video player.

I also have many Ricoh spherical photos that need a compatible app for the Vision Pro.

Feel free to contact me if you need samples from my 3D and spherical media collection to test with. In summary, I have media from

Fuji 3DW3 (3D stills MPO, modified JPEG)
JVC TD1 (3D video MP4)
Panasonic Z10000 (3D video AVCHD 3D)
Ricoh Theta (spherical stills)
Human.Eyes Vuse360 (3D spherical video)

David
Hi David,

Thanks so much for your support!! Moon Spatial Player is currently focused on video playback, but we have plans to add photo viewing in the future, so we'd love to collaborate with you if we decide to develop this feature!

Reactions: G5isAlive

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
Hi David,

Thanks so much for your support!! Moon Spatial Player is currently focused on video playback, but we have plans to add photo viewing in the future, so we'd love to collaborate with you if we decide to develop this feature!
Let me know if you need a 45 gigapixel full spherical panorama to test with.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
OK so based on Hugh's excitement, it looks like this is now ready for prime time.

Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have my 360 degree 24 hour Dubai Airport timelapse available as a 12K file - can't wait to throw that at it!

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
The new controls truly make this an epic experience. The only thing that would make it perfect would be the ability to rotate the view left and right. Currently you need to switch from 3D to regular, move your head, then switch back.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
A 3D Swiss Army knife program like this for photos would be incredible. There are a hodgepodge of different formats and file types that would be amazing to view in 3D on the AVP.
I’m hoping they soon will support 2D 360 photos!

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
I have been experimenting with downloading 3-d Videos and the sites have lots of download options. I assume the larger the filesize the better. My question is which looks better on the Vision Pro with the Moon Player. I have been choosing VR180 and full left to right (PLEASE LET ME DEFAULT THESE TO NOT SET EVERY TIME). Do I download the versions for Oculous go/quest, Rift, Playstation, GEAR? Assuming I do not want the tiny Smartphone options. Is there any difference in the files or are these just size choices?

I have had a few I quickly delete because they do not seem quite focused but would like a hint of the best choice. Each trial takes a few hours because I have to download to my pc then upload to the cloud and then download to the V Pro.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.