Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
How did Install Monterey come all of a sudden ? How do I get rid off it ?

monterey.png

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
did we time machine back up of Mojave?
just insert the usb drive into the mac, restart and press the option key
then choose "recover up from Time Machine"
there is a auto back up toggle that we can turn off in system preferences.
then you will be to Mojave!

im reinstalling Mojave as i type on a mac mini.
time machine back up are great!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
How did Install Monterey come all of a sudden ? How do I get rid off it ?

View attachment 1947353
Your Mac downloaded the installer, probably because of a setting in your System Preferences.
Open System Preferences, then Software Update. Click the Advanced... button.
Uncheck "Download New Updates when Available". You will be asked for your admin password to change that setting.
If you don't want to install Monterery now, drag that Install macOS Monterey app to the trash (the install is in your Applications folder.) You will again be asked for your admin password to move that installer to the trash. Don't forget to empty the trash (Install takes up a lot of space - more than 12GB.)

anjanesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Navi Mumbai
macOS Monetery didn't get installed yet. It only asks me to install it for which I refused. But I don't get how it got downloaded in the first place. It's there in Applications - 12.2GB !
I blocked Catalina right from the start. (No popup for BigSur though)

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
macOS Monetery didn't get installed yet. It only asks me to install it for which I refused. But I don't get how it got downloaded in the first place. It's there in Applications - 12.2GB !
okay, i miss understood and you are still on Mojave.
(which makes you a Mojavian!)

you can delete that install
but yes very weird that dowloaded to begin with.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I saw this in my applications folder too (big suck). I have automatic and update checking disabled.

Getting sneaky!

Carlos1602

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
I installed it and had no end of problems. My Mac would not boot and kept on going into Safe Mode and in the end I re-installed Catalina, then Big Sur and I will not be upgrading to Monterey. Ignore it as it is still very much Beta and in true Apple fashion they have reelased an upgrade that is full of bugs

Wengro

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2022
I also just noticed this in my Applications folder yesterday. I too have automatic updates and installs disabled. The date on the installer file is January 23, 2022 at 2:53 am. Pretty sure my iMac and I were both asleep at that time...

Not cool!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I also just noticed this in my Applications folder yesterday. I too have automatic updates and installs disabled. The date on the installer file is January 23, 2022 at 2:53 am. Pretty sure my iMac and I were both asleep at that time...

Not cool!
do you turn off your iMac at nighttime?
that might be the culprit which is still, not cool!

Wengro

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2022
do you turn off your iMac at nighttime?
that might be the culprit which is still, not cool!

I almost always turn off my Mac at night. At the very least it is logged out and in sleep mode. Also note I do not have "Power Nap" or "Wake for network access" turned on.

Reactions: MBAir2010

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Keeping Mojave where it's at, and not letting Apple upgrade your system.
[dumping all I've been able to [discover] in one place - sgt]

Mojave System Update 10.14.5 gave back the ability to ignore system upgrades, but only if you are enrolled in a MDM.

Using JAMF Now to enroll a Mac in UAMDM:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...aring-in-software-update-window/404933#404933
I never would have been able to start to do this, unless I read that post in StackExchange.

You will have to do some customizing in Jamf Now:
I used the Management profile. I have customers that I've setup with the Operations profile, that way what I do with my profile won't change their systems. Three systems enrolled for free.
I wanted to set my Machine Name to what I wanted.
I wanted to change some of the Security requirements (time to lock when lid is closed) to 5 minutes from the standard of 1 minute.
One other benefit of a management profile is Jamf Now will escrow your FileVault 2 Recovery Key in your account, so it's safe there.
Read their help to figure out how to do all this. It's not too hard if you look first and learn, then after learning and thinking and waiting a bit, do.

Turn off all update checkboxes in System Preferences | Software Update

Turn off the dreaded red "1" in System Preferences | Software Update:

killall “System Preferences”
sudo softwareupdate --ignore 'macOS Catalina'
sudo softwareupdate --ignore 'macOS Big Sur'
sudo softwareupdate --ignore 'macOS Monterey'
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences DidShowPrefBundleIDs
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.plist
killall Dock

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/system-preferences-software-update-badge.2204123/post-27869914

Delete the OS X Notification.bundle file in /Library/Bundles
("/Library" is a system directory, not your user Library in "~/Library")

Make /Library/Bundles folder incapable of having “OS X Notification.bundle” added by a system update:

sudo touch /Library/Bundles
Comment: use the above command if you don't have a Bundles folder.

sudo /usr/bin/chflags hidden /Library/Bundles ;
Comment: the semicolon is part of the command
Comment: This command sets sets the folder invisible (reverse: nohidden)

sudo /usr/bin/chflags uchg /Library/Bundles ;
Comment: the semicolon is part of the command
Comment: make sure it can’t be rewritten: set the user immutable flag (owner or super-user only); (reverse: no uchg)
http://osxdaily.com/2018/10/26/stop-upgrade-macos-mojave-notifications/

One other tip; this may work, it may not:
sudo touch /Applications/"Install macOS Monterey.app"
Comment: makes a fake Installer app in the Applications folder so maybe you won't get the "Upgrade to macOS Monterey" notification.

Then you can update Mojave to the end of it's updates.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.