Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should I do??

• Buy 2020 iPad Pro now

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Wait for refurbished 2018 iPad Pro from Apple for major savings

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Wait for mini-LED iPad Pro

Votes: 19 27.9%

• Total voters

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Hey all,

I've been doing a ton of research on iPad Pro recently and decided to finally invest in one. I'm just facing a personal dilemma and would love to hear the Macrumors forum input. A little about me and what I would use the iPad Pro for:

I'm very big on productivity, reading, and content consumption/creation. I work a 9-5 where I take video calls every day, trying to be better at making spreadsheets and Keynote presentations, and do photography/videography on the side. I would use this iPad Pro for apps like Todoist, Notion, Kindle, Netflix, YouTube, Lightroom/Photoshop, Adobe Rush, & possibly Lumafusion.

Thankfully, I have a girlfriend who works for Apple and can get me a 15% discount on any Apple product. So shopping for refurbished 2018 iPad Pro (2018) models from 3rd party vendors is basically the same as getting a discounted 2020 model from her. Her discount does apply to the Apple refurbished store as well so the best case would be to get a corporate discount on a 2018 refurbished iPad Pro from Apple for major savings but it's been out of stock for weeks, if not months now and I'm looking to buy one soon.

After extensive research I've decided that the 11" iPad Pro is the one for me. But as a photographer, the rumors of mini-LED and A14 chip are sooooo appealing to me. I don't care about the 5G. So here's where I stand: I could get the 2020 11" iPad Pro with 128gb now, or wait and see if Apple restocks a refurbished 2018 iPad Pro with 256GB (I can't do 64gb, but 128gb is fine), or wait until mini-LED since I do edit photos often.

Thoughts?! & before anyone asks, no unfortunately the girlfriend doesn't know when the next iPad Pro is coming out either :(

MrCharlieD

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2020
Next IPP will be out on early 2021 at best (and there's no guarantee it will use mini-LED), so you could by a new one using the discount, then trade in for the next one and enjoy a good 5 to 7 months on this one.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
2018 Pro iPads are another great option to think about. There isn’t much of a difference between the two model years.

Definitely looked into those first, but the 2018 refurbished ones on Apple store are all sold out and with shipping delays due to the pandemic, I don't think they'll restock soon. Any other 2018 refurbished one from another vendor is the same price as getting a 15% off brand new 2020 one :/

Next IPP will be out on early 2021 at best (and there's no guarantee it will use mini-LED), so you could by a new one using the discount, then trade in for the next one and enjoy a good 5 to 7 months on this one.

True, that is an option as well. I'd lose about $200 or so though

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hey all,

I've been doing a ton of research on iPad Pro recently and decided to finally invest in one. I'm just facing a personal dilemma and would love to hear the Macrumors forum input. A little about me and what I would use the iPad Pro for:

I'm very big on productivity, reading, and content consumption/creation. I work a 9-5 where I take video calls every day, trying to be better at making spreadsheets and Keynote presentations, and do photography/videography on the side. I would use this iPad Pro for apps like Todoist, Notion, Kindle, Netflix, YouTube, Lightroom/Photoshop, Adobe Rush, & possibly Lumafusion.

Thankfully, I have a girlfriend who works for Apple and can get me a 15% discount on any Apple product. So shopping for refurbished 2018 iPad Pro (2018) models from 3rd party vendors is basically the same as getting a discounted 2020 model from her. Her discount does apply to the Apple refurbished store as well so the best case would be to get a corporate discount on a 2018 refurbished iPad Pro from Apple for major savings but it's been out of stock for weeks, if not months now and I'm looking to buy one soon.

After extensive research I've decided that the 11" iPad Pro is the one for me. But as a photographer, the rumors of mini-LED and A14 chip are sooooo appealing to me. I don't care about the 5G. So here's where I stand: I could get the 2020 11" iPad Pro with 128gb now, or wait and see if Apple restocks a refurbished 2018 iPad Pro with 256GB (I can't do 64gb, but 128gb is fine), or wait until mini-LED since I do edit photos often.

Thoughts?! & before anyone asks, no unfortunately the girlfriend doesn't know when the next iPad Pro is coming out either :(
Its worth it to just buy the 2020 iPad Pro while you can.

Reactions: slimejester

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Some of the rumors I have seen have just the 12.5" model initially having mini led.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The thing I dislike the most about my iPad Pro 10.5 is the poor black levels. I'm waiting for mini-LED. If it doesn't get mini-LED, then I won't buy anything.

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Apple products in general have excellent resale value, have you considered buying for what you need today and then just selling it when the new models are released?

Otherwise, it'll always be a "wait until next years model".

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Buy now, sell it when the new ones come out and then buy those. You'll have plenty of buyers willing to pay a discounted price for slightly used (or even heavily) iOS devices.

If Apple keeps the accessories compatible you won't go wrong.

slimejester

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2020
I recently bought the 2020 iPad Pro 11” and it’s the best device Apple’s released in years. I also suffered from iPad buy/wait paralysis and originally purchased a 2018 refurbished one. If the prices are similar with the discount, definitely go for the 2020 one. The resale value will be much higher than the 2018 model next year if you decide to upgrade to the A14/Mini-LED one. I’m just telling you from experience, if you get the 2020 iPad Pro, it will instantly end the decision paralysis since you won’t be wondering if you should’ve bought a different model. You’ll have the peace of mind that you’re using the best iPad there is, and I think not having that nagging indecisive feeling for the next several stressful months is certainly worth it for an extra ~$100.

aZZaneko

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
I wish I had an answer for this one. Facing a similar dilemma myself. There's nothing I particularly need from the future version but I have bought one "2-year old tech" product this spring (Mini 2020) and the idea of buying yet another 2018 product for the 2020 price just doesn't sit right with me.

Reactions: bhodinut

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Thanks everyone for your answers! Now I'm hearing rumors that they might update the iPad Air next month which could be more in line with my budget if that's the case. But I'm hearing other rumors say that it's only the base iPad that they'll be refreshing. This waiting game is horrible lol but since September's coming up I think I might as well wait to see what they bring to the table.

If it's only the base iPad though, I'll beat myself up for not getting the Pro sooner!

Reactions: barkomatic

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Grab a 2018 iPad Pro IF you find one on Apple's refurbished site (still the best iPad ever made), otherwise grab a 256GB 2020 model ?‍♂️. I am hoping for an A14X/A15X (or something unique to the iPad Pro) in addition to quality mini LED with true HDR playback.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Grab a 2018 iPad Pro IF you find one on Apple's refurbished site (still the best iPad ever made), otherwise grab a 256GB 2020 model ?‍♂️. I am hoping for an A14X/A15X (or something unique to the iPad Pro) in addition to quality mini LED with true HDR playback.

If I cop the 2020 Pro now, 128gb would be sufficient for me. If the Air does end up keeping the base model as 64gb, the price increase to 256gb for a new Air is still cheaper than base model 128gb on the Pro. Hence the dilemma.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Just my input for ya. ;)

Appreciate it man :) A refurbished 2018 iPad Pro would actually be best case scenario cause the discount applies to refurbished store as well but I've been looking for weeks now and nada :(

Reactions: Kal-037

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If you take the 2018 Pro out of the equation due to it being out of stock and it costing as much as the 2020 Pro with your girlfriend's discount then your choice is between the 2020 Pro and the future version.

It's a hard decision since the current Pro is excellent and people are mostly very pleased with it. However, the rumored upgrade to the A14 and the mini-LED screen will launch the iPad further into a tool that professionals may use even over powerful laptops. The problem with the iPad has sometimes been the software lags behind the capability of the hardware.

I'd get the current iPad Pro and see how it works for you. If your needs evolve between now and the next release then get the new one and take the hit. You might even wait until iOS 15.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
If you take the 2018 Pro out of the equation due to it being out of stock and it costing as much as the 2020 Pro with your girlfriend's discount then your choice is between the 2020 Pro and the future version.

It's a hard decision since the current Pro is excellent and people are mostly very pleased with it. However, the rumored upgrade to the A14 and the mini-LED screen will launch the iPad further into a tool that professionals may use even over powerful laptops. The problem with the iPad has sometimes been the software lags behind the capability of the hardware.

I'd get the current iPad Pro and see how it works for you. If your needs evolve between now and the next release then get the new one and take the hit. You might even wait until iOS 15.

I'm actually debating waiting to see if they'll announce a new iPad Air 4 in September to see if that will be sufficient enough for me. But at the same time, iPad Pro (2020) might be better for future proofing in the long run... I could definitely use the 6GB RAM and A12Z for video editing on Luma Fusion. Thoughts?

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Appreciate it man :) A refurbished 2018 iPad Pro would actually be best case scenario cause the discount applies to refurbished store as well but I've been looking for weeks now and nada :(
Same. I LOVE my iPad Pro, but my OCD is really bugging me about getting the 1TB so I can have 6GB RAM. I cannot stand the design and execution of the 2020 though, or the lame, no live show announcement of it, lol... (this new iPad feels like an afterthought, not a big priority at all.)
Because iPads will become as big or bigger than MacBooks.
The 2018 is also still 3-5 years ahead of any Snapdragon or whatever processor. The A12Z adds an extra GPU core so it’s 7% more efficient and graphics boost, Sorry tangent... Anyhoo, you can’t go wrong with iPad Pros made after 2017 or with these crazy A9-13 chips... all of the A10X’s are still (even now) more than 2 times as powerful and faster than Qualcomm, AMD, or intel mobile processors.

I think waiting is best if your girlfriend can still get you a great deal a year from now (the next one will be a real boosted iPad Pro release.)
Just imagining the speed of the A14X or A15X the next iPad is insane

It is crazy because the A12X/Z are already 3-5 years ahead of everyone else.
These new iPads...
iPad Pro 2-4,
iPad Air 3.
iPad 5, 6, and 7.
iPad mini 5.
All these 2017 and newer iPads will last at least 5-7 years and will still be fast and capable when the iPad Pro 10 comes out (with the A19X or A20X.)

Polly Mercocet

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2020
LDN
Hit up eBay and get an iPad Pro 2018. You won't regret it honestly. I got two iPad Pro 2018's from eBay for almost half the price of Apple's RRP even though one was literally brand new and sealed in the box. There's great deals to be had, and such little difference between the 2018 and 2020, you will get far better savings this way.

My iPad Pro 2018 came in perfect condition with the box and even an official Apple magnetic case. It works absolutely perfectly, I love this thing.

The other one I got was for a family member who uses their iPad as their main computer and wanted a big screen and to not have to upgrade for a while. So I thought iPad Pro is perfect. Got them that deal on the brand new sealed one.

For reference: mine cost £560 and this was a year before the 2020 model came out so it was the most recent at the time. The second one was £600, but it was a BNIB 4G model (mine is WiFi only) and would have cost about £850 from Apple.

Now the 2020 is out the 2018's will be even cheaper. Shop around and bag a deal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.