Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
For regular tasks and video work would you recommend getting an iPhone 11 over the 12? I am looking to keep costs in check and not buy more than I'll need.

My requirements:
-I plan to use it for 2.5 to 3 years. I assume the iPhone 11 processor will suffice till then.
-Video work should involve 10 min clips every few days. Basic editing will be on the phone.
-Solid battery backup.

I feel the bigger battery of the 11 will be more robust for heavier video/editing usage, as needed.

The 12 is lighter by about 30 grams, but can you really tell the difference given the largish surface area?

The 12's OLED sounds great, but I've always liked the earlier LCD screens. More importantly, who knows, I may have issues with PWN flickering?

I can live with the lack of night more on the front camera.

Does the 12 have faster face unlock? More RAM than the 11? Anything else because of which I should go for the 12 over the 11?

Thanks!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
LCD (11) vs OLED (12).
11 wins by a HUGE margin just because of that. (No PWM flickering dimming)

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
LCD (11) vs OLED (12).
11 wins by a HUGE margin just because of that. (No PWM flickering dimming)
Oh, really?
I knew about potential PWN issues. But it looks like it's much bigger than I thought. Maybe Apple has ironed it out in the newer iPhone 13 models.
They have serious keyboard issues with the scissor mechanism, never owned up to it, and then quietly improved things.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Oh, really?
I knew about potential PWN issues. But it looks like it's much bigger than I thought. Maybe Apple has ironed it out in the newer iPhone 13 models.
They have serious keyboard issues with the scissor mechanism, never owned up to it, and then quietly improved things.

It is absolutely not much bigger at all. A tiny minority of people have issues with PWM on OLED screens.

Find somebody that has one and see how you get on with it. It’s irrelevant how other people get on with these screens, you need to find out for yourself. And the chances are you will be fine. As are most people.

Reactions: primarycolors

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
It is absolutely not much bigger at all. A tiny minority of people have issues with PWM on OLED screens.

Find somebody that has one and see how you get on with it. It’s irrelevant how other people get on with these screens, you need to find out for yourself. And the chances are you will be fine. As are most people.
I see. Yeah, I might do that. But I assume it's not such a huge issue as to bother me.
I guess iPhone 11 seems the right choice as of now.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
For regular tasks and video work would you recommend getting an iPhone 11 over the 12? I am looking to keep costs in check and not buy more than I'll need.

My requirements:
-I plan to use it for 2.5 to 3 years. I assume the iPhone 11 processor will suffice till then.
-Video work should involve 10 min clips every few days. Basic editing will be on the phone.
-Solid battery backup.

I feel the bigger battery of the 11 will be more robust for heavier video/editing usage, as needed.

The 12 is lighter by about 30 grams, but can you really tell the difference given the largish surface area?

The 12's OLED sounds great, but I've always liked the earlier LCD screens. More importantly, who knows, I may have issues with PWN flickering?

I can live with the lack of night more on the front camera.

Does the 12 have faster face unlock? More RAM than the 11? Anything else because of which I should go for the 12 over the 11?

Thanks!
I would typically say get the newer one but in your case the iPhone 11 makes sense as the battery life in the whole 11 range was a big jump and slightly better in some models than 12. The A13 chip will be capable for years to come the 2021 iPad 10.2 uses this chip to showing Apples confidence in it.

The 11 brought the FaceID upgrade to allow FaceID at more angles so you’ll be fine there.

The 11 is probably peak LCD screen as that was the last main line iPhone model (outside SE) to use LCD.

Sounds like you’d be perfectly fine with it.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Didn’t true HDR recording start on the 12 series? I didn’t have it on my 11 pro but I do have it on the 13 Pro, and my friend that has an 12 sent me a video of his cats that was in HDR. In my opinion if you care a lot about video quality that‘s an important factor potentially.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Didn’t true HDR recording start on the 12 series? I didn’t have it on my 11 pro but I do have it on the 13 Pro, and my friend that has an 12 sent me a video of his cats that was in HDR. In my opinion if you care a lot about video quality that‘s an important factor potentially.
This is very true, though HDR recording was only on 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max, I believe OP is looking at the standard iPhone 12.

Definitely something to consider, maybe OP is best off going with a 12 Pro/Pro Max used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.