Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnBip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2020
Hello here,

My actual mac is starting to be an issue in my workflow. I was not able to spend more when I bought it and I actually start to feel the limits of the RAM capacity and maybe sometimes the CPU.

My specs :

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
Processor 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB

I'm coding on VS Code and run a dev environment on react + GraphQL server and node + mongoDB for the back end with multiple instances for different micro services + Chrome, and few softwares for work.

My setup, is my computer + 2 external HD monitors for the lot of different windows to show on all my screens at the same time.

I kept my environment under Mojave and don't plan on upgrading. Is there anything I can do to make sure that the maximum of resources are allocated to my work flow? Any tips? Thank you

UnBip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2020
Do you ignore the definition of "bi" or the fact there were MacBook Pro with 2 cores ?

Last edited:

UnBip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2020
I wish, but I need to make sure the project I work on is rendering and running perfectly in Chrome + I'm used to their devtools

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Activity Monitor to see where your bottlenecks are. Look at memory pressure and cpu usage while running your normal workload. Primary suspect would be memory as you’re running a lot of processes.

Reactions: thekev

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
IDEs and various virtual environments suck up a lot of ram. This is likely to be your primary bottleneck. CPU may or may not help. If you are concerned about cpu, buy something with a minimum of 4 cores. I would probably favor one of the latest offerings.

UnBip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2020
Thanks for the advise I'll keep an eye on the activity to see more in details. I have istats menu that use to show Code, Chrome and mongod with many GB for the first ones. And the memory pressure is often high, I use to close any app I don't use at the moment to try to relieve the system when it's really bad ( system very slow and close to not responding )

UnBip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2020
I decided to invest in a refurbished MBP 16", 2.3 i9 with 16 GB of RAM.
I'm using my computer for work everyday, I figured it could be the occasion to upgrade and sell my 13" and I don't have to rely on iCloud anymore to store some of my personal files.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.