Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I found this Linux called Slax http://slax.linux-live.org/ it's live so all You have to do is burn the ISO and put it in a old PC that has a CD-Rom it is really fun to use and is only 188 MB AND it has X-Window!! It is so small You can put the entire OS into RAM and is very fast.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Lord Blackadder said:
You might also try Damn Small Linux (DSL), which is a Knoppix/Debian hybrid LiveCD ISO that is only 50 MB. It auto recognizes hardware and boots directly into X Windows. They even sell it preloaded in a bootable USB flash drive. W00t.

I like DSl But I think Slax is alot more stable then it is PLUS if You get the Beta Kill-Bill version it has wine built into it making it even cooler

rand()

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Michigan
grapes911 said:
Personally, I like gentoo. The live cd is huge compared to most others, but you can do much more with it.

I love gentoo, but on an old PC, no. The pre-compiled packages aren't quite complete enough, and compiling any large package on something as slow as even a 350MHz just isn't play-with-it-now fun, unless you've got 10 of 'em running DistCC.

-rand()

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.