Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
With the new switch in data plans, the 3G iPad seems like a waste of cash. I don't think 2GB of data will last very long with apps like Netflix and the ABC player when I'm on the go.

I had just managed to convince myself that paying an additional $30 a month was worth it (after much debate). Now all I can see is how much of a ripoff 2GB for $25 is.

What a let down :(

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
The change in ATT's service does not fundamentally change the calculus. There remains a wifi only model and a model that has contract-free 3G.

Users such as yourself that intend to stream significant amounts of content have to ask yourself if having limited data is worse than having no data at all.

Its a little bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
If you don't anticipate traveling with it then maybe not. We travel to Mexico and overseas so it was a no-brainer for me to go 3G, but you can certainly live without it.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
it is not pointless..
the main reason that i bought 3G is the dedicated GPS chip inside.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
It's far from pointless. I bought the 3G to also have a decent GPS capability and the find my iPad service if it should stray. That was almost worth it alone for the price. I'm not surprised that the unlimited was throttled back, you should have known it was coming. Most of my use is WIFI and I only used 100MB of 3G this month so I don't have a problem. Remember you also get free access to a lot of ATT WIFI spots that you might have to pay for otherwise.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
It made my decision much easier. I wouldn't use the GPS on it anyway and since Verizon has a slew of Android devices, I might as well just get one of those and tether it over WiFi. Put the extra $129 towards a Droid Incredible because AT&T is non-existant around here anyway and I essentially have a MiFi that is capable of much more.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Hardly pointless.....

If the iPad is your primary travel companion, 3G at ANY price point still has a place. You can write it off as a business expense and still make use of it.

This noise form AT&T is only an issue for people who lack self control to monitor their data usage.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
3G doesn't become "pointless" with today's announcement, just potentially more expensive.

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
It made my decision much easier. I wouldn't use the GPS on it anyway and since Verizon has a slew of Android devices, I might as well just get one of those and tether it over WiFi. Put the extra $129 towards a Droid Incredible because AT&T is non-existant around here anyway and I essentially have a MiFi that is capable of much more.

If you think that Verizon won't be following right behind AT&T by doing similar changes to their data plans then... well... good luck with that. :)

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
It is not pointless for me either. The gps coverage and access to the Internet when you travel, especially when you travel as much as I do (at least 3 months per year) makes it worthwhile.

I just wish they had kept the choice of when you need coverage. That's the unfairness of it.

md63

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
Transfer 3g Plan?

I was on the fence about buying the iPad and was leaning toward getting the 3g just to have it when traveling. I have a 64GB 3g waiting for me at the store and was wondering if I activate the unlimited 3g service is it possible to later sell the ipad with the unlimited 3g service still active? This might make it worth more down the road and worth activating before June 7th.

THanks

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
I say pointless because I already have an iPhone 3GS for *urgent* browsing/email. I considered the iPad a pure luxury device, not a necessity. This means unlimited internet anywhere without having to worry about limits and plans.

If I really need access while on a trip, I have my iPhone. The whole draw of the 3G model was unrestricted internet anywhere. I'll be passing on the 3G model!

fjfjfjfj

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
New York, NY
It's far from pointless. I bought the 3G to also have a decent GPS capability and the find my iPad service if it should stray. That was almost worth it alone for the price. I'm not surprised that the unlimited was throttled back, you should have known it was coming. Most of my use is WIFI and I only used 100MB of 3G this month so I don't have a problem. Remember you also get free access to a lot of ATT WIFI spots that you might have to pay for otherwise.

The 'find my iPad' service works with the wifi only model if I am not mistaken. (I'm guessing not as accurately as the 3G and obviously not if you are nowhere near a wifi connection).

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
The 'find my iPad' service works with the wifi only model if I am not mistaken. (I'm guessing not as accurately as the 3G and obviously not if you are nowhere near a wifi connection).

While it certainly works with the WiFi-only model, the iPad has to access the wireless network for it to work. So if the iPad is only in range of a previously-unused secured network it won't do anything at all.

That's why it was introduced with the iPhone because it's always connected.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Well, the burden is on you to realize that "no contract" is a two way street. They're free to alter it at any time.

The contract in question is most certainly a two way street. They can change it and you can cancel at anytime.

That's the one redeeming thing. If I buy and iPhone, I'm stuck for 2 years with a phone that essentially doesn't work if I happen to live in certain areas. (NY, SF) My options are to pay and early termination fee or deal with it.

At least with iPad you can vote with your dollars.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
With the new switch in data plans, the 3G iPad seems like a waste of cash. I don't think 2GB of data will last very long with apps like Netflix and the ABC player when I'm on the go.

I had just managed to convince myself that paying an additional $30 a month was worth it (after much debate). Now all I can see is how much of a ripoff 2GB for $25 is.

What a let down :(

Where's the letdown? You are grandfathered in. If you had planned to stay at $30/ month neither the price nor unlimited is changing for you.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Where's the letdown? You are grandfathered in. If you had planned to stay at $30/ month neither the price nor unlimited is changing for you.

We need to wait for more information from ATT but at this moment, the grandfather only applies to people who maintain the unlimited plan continuously. Once people stop it, they'll lose it forever. They can't renew the unlimited plan. Which means, starting next monday, people who has been getting iPad 3Gs just because they can use unlimited 3g for a month at any given moment in time no longer will have that option, regardless if they bought it before the price change.

That's the biggest letdown, that was the biggest marketing feature for Apple. Unlimited, any time, anywhere for same price with no contract.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I say pointless because I already have an iPhone 3GS for *urgent* browsing/email. I considered the iPad a pure luxury device, not a necessity. This means unlimited internet anywhere without having to worry about limits and plans.

If I really need access while on a trip, I have my iPhone. The whole draw of the 3G model was unrestricted internet anywhere. I'll be passing on the 3G model!

1. No one is interested if you get a 3G version or not.
2. Life is about choices. You choose not to. Your decision.
3. Not everyone lives in the US where the operators stick it to the users.
4. Did you really not see this coming? If you want to complain, start with complaining about how sites like Google, Yahoo, etc.... Give nothing back to the operators in the way of bandwidth management, or network shaping. Google dumps terabytes of data out on to the net without caring how the data is transmitted. Not to stick up for the operators but they are screwed as well.
5. So buy something else and then complain on their forums.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
1. No one is interested if you get a 3G version or not.
2. Life is about choices. You choose not to. Your decision.
3. Not everyone lives in the US where the operators stick it to the users.
4. Did you really not see this coming? If you want to complain, start with complaining about how sites like Google, Yahoo, etc.... Give nothing back to the operators in the way of bandwidth management, or network shaping. Google dumps terabytes of data out on to the net without caring how the data is transmitted. Not to stick up for the operators but they are screwed as well.
5. So buy something else and then complain on their forums.

and lets close down all discussions while we are at it.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
If you're getting the new iPhone of it you want to make your sim a micro sim then get the 3g. Then use your phone sim for the iPad.

olsonm

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
Kenosha, WI
Some things never Change

What I don't understand is how Apple keeps advertising the Data Pricing Deals to get the sale, and then after a couple of million are out the door let's AT&T change the pricing.. I'm sure that this was set in stone months ago.:mad: I'm glad that I bought the Wifi Version and just MyWi it... Yes I'm also a legacy Iphone purchaser that got the 100 dollar gift card...

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
We need to wait for more information from ATT but at this moment, the grandfather only applies to people who maintain the unlimited plan continuously. Once people stop it, they'll lose it forever. They can't renew the unlimited plan. Which means, starting next monday, people who has been getting iPad 3Gs just because they can use unlimited 3g for a month at any given moment in time no longer will have that option, regardless if they bought it before the price change.

That's the biggest letdown, that was the biggest marketing feature for Apple. Unlimited, any time, anywhere for same price with no contract.

The OP stated he put aside an additional $30/month for this plan. That creates an easy assumption that the intention was to keep the plan rolling, if that is not the case, I apologize. But if it is.....nothing changes.

What I don't understand is how Apple keeps advertising the Data Pricing Deals to get the sale, and then after a couple of million are out the door let's AT&T change the pricing.. I'm sure that this was set in stone months ago.:mad: I'm glad that I bought the Wifi Version and just MyWi it... Yes I'm also a legacy Iphone purchaser that got the 100 dollar gift card...

Sounds like it was basically an introductory offer. I don't agree with what they are doing....I do appreciate jumping on the bandwagon early though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.