Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nininiiiick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2023
Venice
Alright so, for the low low price of 200$ I got a 12" MacBook with the following specs:

• Intel M3 processor
  • 8Gb of RAM
  • 256Gb SSD
  • Battery with 70 cycles
  • Gorgeous gold finish
So far I've used OpenCorePatcher to upate it so Sonoma and It's been a nice experience overall, when web browsing or watching videos I've had zero issues.
Now I'd like to gift this laptop to my GF, she will absolutely adore the portability and the finish aswell, she'll most likely use it to take notes and also for web browsing.

The only "problem" I have with this laptop are the "boot time" ( solved this by simply going into Standby mode ) and the overall sluggishness when using the system UI ( jumping from program to program or accessing different tabs in the settings etc ).
Is there a way to optimize MacOS? In windows you can disable all animations and most of the services in the background and this helps computers that are somewhat CPU limited.

Thank you!

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Is there a way to optimize MacOS? In windows you can disable all animations and most of the services in the background and this helps computers that are somewhat CPU limited.

Thank you!
what I used since 2004 was the power-battery in SysPref or settings to save on energy.
as fas as "all animations and most of the services in the background" I'm not sure what you mean.
as for a open program using energy, I would just close that.

btw that was great deal on the MacBook, I wished I owned one, what year?
the i3 can still process enough, although maybe not run Sonoma as fast as a later version like Catalina.

nininiiiick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2023
Venice
what I used since 2004 was the power-battery in SysPref or settings to save on energy.
as fas as "all animations and most of the services in the background" I'm not sure what you mean.
as for a open program using energy, I would just close that.

btw that was great deal on the MacBook, I wished I owned one, what year?
the i3 can still process enough, although maybe not run Sonoma as fast as a later version like Catalina.
Well the battery is actually really good it can hold up an entire morning of medium / light use so it's not a big concern for me.
The year is 2016 so the penultimate model they made :D

Reactions: MBAir2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.