Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Call me paranoid, OCD, whatever, but I've had this question that I wanted to pose to all ya'll who have similar affinities with their iPhone as I do.

I don't know if any of you guys go through something like this, but here it is: I've owned an iPhone 3G for about 5 months now, and it's been naked since I've first got it. Even though I take good care of it, you can imagine by now through going in and out of my tight jean pockets and placing it on surfaces that there are small scratches everywhere on the back, including the apple logo and all around the chrome bezel.

Dilemma is, I'm thinking about getting a case for my iPhone now that I realize that if I happen to drop it and the screen shatters, I'd probably be devastated, but at the same time, I can't seem to completely justify surrounding my iPhone that already has a bunch of scratches on it, with a case. I guess it's because I seem to think that getting a case is mainly for preventing scratches on the iPhone and also to protect it from drops, but yea, this is what is preventing me from feeling comfortable about getting a case on it. I somehow feel foolish covering a scratched up phone with case and it feels kinda pointless, yet I actually think I should have a case to prevent those once in a lifetime drop accidents. I guess what I need help is for people to help me reason this out so I feel good about getting a case? I don't even know

Yea, as I'm typing this, I realize I'm borderline insane, but yea, I don't know why this is such a big deal, but if anyone's gone through something similar or can help "ease my soul", let me know, haha.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Call me paranoid, OCD, whatever, but I've had this question that I wanted to pose to all ya'll who have similar affinities with their iPhone as I do.

I don't know if any of you guys go through something like this, but here it is: I've owned an iPhone 3G for about 5 months now, and it's been naked since I've first got it. Even though I take good care of it, you can imagine by now through going in and out of my tight jean pockets and placing it on surfaces that there are small scratches everywhere on the back, including the apple logo and all around the chrome bezel.

Dilemma is, I'm thinking about getting a case for my iPhone now that I realize that if I happen to drop it and the screen shatters, I'd probably be devastated, but at the same time, I can't seem to completely justify surrounding my iPhone that already has a bunch of scratches on it, with a case. I guess it's because I seem to think that getting a case is mainly for preventing scratches on the iPhone and also to protect it from drops, but yea, this is what is preventing me from feeling comfortable about getting a case on it. I somehow feel foolish covering a scratched up phone with case and it feels kinda pointless, yet I actually think I should have a case to prevent those once in a lifetime drop accidents. I guess what I need help is for people to help me reason this out so I feel good about getting a case? I don't even know

Yea, as I'm typing this, I realize I'm borderline insane, but yea, I don't know why this is such a big deal, but if anyone's gone through something similar or can help "ease my soul", let me know, haha.

should have gone with a bodyguardz/Invisible shield :D

umm i don't think its too weird. Just get a nice thin silicone case and you'll be good to go

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Every phone I've had pretty much I've had a case to prevent scratches but after say 2-4 weeks I've not bothered with them .

I'm still using my iPhone silicone case like 4 months on but I think it just feels so much more drop proof with the case.

Don't get me wrong It's not like I suddenly feel like I could chuck it about but I guess the majority of small drops it would survive with no damage.

Id go for it myself even if the phone is scratched already :)

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
my 2G is spotless and i didn't have a case for it until 4 or 5 months after i got it.

buuut - i'd think you should get a nice case for it - i mean it makes it look class (if you get a nice one) and will cover up the scratches. plus most cases go past the screen so if you drop it flat on the ground, it will hit the case, not the glass screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.