Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
So i am having some decision problems with macs my iMac brokedown months ago so my first reaction was "Get a Mac Mini" than i said i better get a low end MBP.
And now I'm back for the Mini because It's cheaper and a 13" Screen of the MBP wouldn't make me happy, so with the mini i would get a new display anyways :)

I Want to buy the Top of the Line desktop version of the Mac Mini with the 2.53 GHz Processor + 500GB + 4GB RAM + Apple Wireless Keyboard
Are the extra 150$ Worth it for the 2.66 GHz processor?
I will use it for browsing, Photoshopping, aperture, Light 3D Apps, Video Editing, iTunes, iLife... Sometimes All at once with some exceptions :)
I mean i think the speed increase from 2.26GHz to 2.66 GHz is noticeable, but how much would it be from 2.53 GHz to 2.66 GHz

Also, is it possible to add 8GB of RAM? I heard that some people did it...

No, i don't want an iMac, my main reason is that i can carry the mini in a backpack in case i have to move around, in the long run the Mini is cheaper because when you upgrade you just get the Mini, not like with the iMac where you're basically buying a new setup every time you upgrade

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
get the 2.53Ghz version, you wont notice the difference in clock speed at all,

and yes, you can upgrade the ram to 8Gb, look on crucial for ram kits or otherworld computing ;)

bkspero

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
+1 and check th 8 gig prices

I agree re. getting the 2.53 gHz processor. Won't see any speed difference.

You're going to spend enough to nearly buy a new Mini if you get the 8 gigs of Ram (really only half of a new mini).

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

4 gigs is pretty capable. If it can last you a year, the price of the 8 gigs is likely to come down enough that you could buy the 4 gigs today and the 8 gigs in a year for less, in total, than you would pay for the 8 gigs today. Then sell the 4 gigs for an extra few dollars.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
I was about to ask if the 0.27 GHz Worth it between the 2.26 GHz and 2.53 GHz and they are since if you turne up the 2.26 GHz one with 4GB of ram and a 320GB Hard Drive you go to 799$ the exact price of the 2.53 GHz model with all those specs :cool:

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
Get a MBP seriously. Mac Mini's are slow.

My mac mini booted slower with a SSD drive in it than the macbook pro with a HDD in it. I don't know what they did, but the MBP are seriously a nimble machine compared to the mac mini

Gumbercules

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009

My mac mini booted slower with a SSD drive in it than the macbook pro with a HDD in it. I don't know what they did, but the MBP are seriously a nimble machine compared to the mac mini

it has exactly the same internals

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
it has exactly the same internals

That was my initial assumption, but It doesn't, otherwise the results would be the same.

They may share the certain components (like cpu), but something would suggest the mac mini are using cheaper components or are missing certain performance components, and hence the slower performance.

Go into an apple store and see for yourself. Run tests on the machines and time them. You'll notice the macbook pro is snappier.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
That was my initial assumption, but It doesn't, otherwise the results would be the same.

They may share the certain components (like cpu), but something would suggest the mac mini are using cheaper components or are missing certain performance components, and hence the slower performance.

Go into an apple store and see for yourself. Run tests on the machines and time them. You'll notice the macbook pro is snappier.

I doubt that the 2.26 GHz Low end MacBook Pro with 2GB of ram will be faster than a 2.53 GHz Mac Mini with 4GB of ram

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
My mac mini booted slower with a SSD drive

Also, did you copy the HD info on the SDD or did you reinstall OSX? It usually goes slower when you just copy it, try to backup your data with time machine, reinstall OSX and you'll see it's faster!

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
I doubt that the 2.26 GHz Low end MacBook Pro with 2GB of ram will be faster than a 2.53 GHz Mac Mini with 4GB of ram

Ram is a cheap upgrade. There's no reason why the MBP shouldn't be upgraded to 4gb. I'd still say the 2.26Ghz MBP would be faster than the 2.53Ghz Mac mini. Maybe no if the data is cached in memory, but if it needs to access data off the drives, definitely the MBP will be quicker.

Also wondering if the memory controllers are different which could play a factor into it.

Also, did you copy the HD info on the SDD or did you reinstall OSX? It usually goes slower when you just copy it, try to backup your data with time machine, reinstall OSX and you'll see it's faster!

Yeah, that were new installs. Do the tests, seriously. The results speak for themselves.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
OWC has run benchmarks on the various Mini configs with all the processors. In some of the benchmarks, the 2.53 posted much better numbers. I suppose it all depends on what you are doing with it. I kind of wish I had gotten the 2.53 for my new one, but beggars can't be choosers (refurb store).

Check out the benchmarks here.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Geekbench

I Don't want to contradict Raima without proof, but i just checked out Geekbench and the 2.53GHz Mini gets 3879 points and the 2.26GHz MBP gets 3264 Points
something more interesting is that the 2.53GHz gets a better benchmark than the 2.53GHz MBP which only gets 3484 vs. the Mini's 3879
However the 2.26GHz MBP is a few points faster than the 2.26GHz Mini
Proof
Mac Mini 2.26GHz - 3256 Points
MBP 2.26GHz - 3264 Points
Mac Mini 2.53GHz - 3879 Points
MBP 2.53GHz - 3484 Points

You probably have a reason to say that, but at least on paper the Mini looks faster

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Btw is there another way to turn on the Mini than from the back button? I think that after some time it can be a bummer if you want to hide it somewhere and just leave your screen on the table

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California

That's hard to believe that the Mini boots slower than the MBP with an SSD. The MBP and Mac Mini use the exact same RAM, hard drive, and processor. The Mac Mini just doesn't have a screen and a keyboard.

The Macbook Pro is not snappier, I tested. What "performance components" would the Mini be missing? Nothing actually.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
That's hard to believe that the Mini boots slower than the MBP with an SSD. The MBP and Mac Mini use the exact same RAM, hard drive, and processor. The Mac Mini just doesn't have a screen and a keyboard.

The Macbook Pro is not snappier, I tested. What "performance components" would the Mini be missing? Nothing actually.

Be my guest on booting up a mac mini with ssd in 13 seconds :)

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
Is that supposed to be slow?

It's fast. That's the time my MBP with SSD boots up in.

Was thinking of doing a youtube video last night with the MBP rebooting with my iphone as the timer. My mac mini was no where near that quick when it had the SSD in it.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
It's fast. That's the time my MBP with SSD boots up in.

Was thinking of doing a youtube video last night with the MBP rebooting with my iphone as the timer. My mac mini was no where near that quick when it had the SSD in it.

Just saw this vid, 18 Seconds, (ignore the Dell Mini) how much did yours?

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Bad Apple!
I think that even a 7200RPM could do faster than that

Dizzler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
There were about 5 Minis on the refurb store this morning, but they are all gone tonight. Check the store often and you may be able to snag one. They go fast.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
There were about 5 Minis on the refurb store this morning, but they are all gone tonight. Check the store often and you may be able to snag one. They go fast.

Woah I live in mexico so our refurb store doesn't really work, but I'm just curious what's the price for them? would be funny to see 499$ ones, same as an iPad :))

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Is the Magic Mouse worth it? I totally hated the Mighty mouse, I use a MX Revolution Mouse and I like it, is it worth it to get thr Magic Mouse instead? Can I return it if I don't like it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.