Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Addelle16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Western PA
Hi everyone, My name is Nina, and I am new to this forum. I have been a Windows user my whole life, but ever since this past summer I have been looking at getting a Macbook for several reasons. I am 16 and go to a performing arts charter school where most of my classes are online courses. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 and it's pretty heavy to lug around in school. The Macbook would be a lot less bulky. I love the size of it, perfect for my bookbag. The new OS would take a while to get used to, but I am intrigued by Macs and really think the change will be a good one. I also have heard that Macs get no viruses, which is a great thing because I would not have to worry about buying the anti virus software. So basically my needs for this Macbook will be: homework, word processing, internet browsing, and maybe a little photo/video editing using the iLife tools. I am looking at either the base model at $1099 or the midrange model at $1299.

When I asked my family about getting a new computer for myself, we made a deal. I had to work and come up with at least $300 or more and my dad and grandparents will pay the rest. So far I have about $100 and I am getting more money soon (I am an artist and do custom commissions on drawings for people). My family and I are going to the Macoutfitters store on Oct 14th so they can see the Macbook and find out what the monthly payments will be, see the financing options, etc.

I am wondering if I should wait for the new Leopard OS to come shipped on new MB's before I buy one, or should I just get one right now that has Tiger? Any tips for a new Mac user are welcome. To those of you who have Macbooks now, how do you like them?

Spanners

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Tunbridge Wells, UK
Great Choice Nina :)

Should you wait for Leopard? That depends do you need the machine now? Do you want to wait till it's released? Personally I'm rubbish at waiting!
Remember you can always buy Leopard later if you feel you really need it.

Any tips? Yeah loads but its fun just playing. So give it a go and see how you get on first.

My only tip: Remember you get Student Discount! That's going to save you some money right there.

Good luck

Addelle16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Western PA
Great Choice Nina :)

Should you wait for Leopard? That depends do you need the machine now? Do you want to wait till it's released? Personally I'm rubbish at waiting!
Remember you can always buy Leopard later if you feel you really need it.

Any tips? Yeah loads but its fun just playing. So give it a go and see how you get on first.

My only tip: Remember you get Student Discount! That's going to save you some money right there.

Good luck

Thanks! I emailed a saleperson at Macoutfiitters this morning asking about educational discounts, and they do offer them on both the Macbook and the Apple Protection Plan.

digitalpencil

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Manchester, UK
By the sounds of what you want to do.. the bog-standard package should be great for everything you'll throw at it.

As for the new OS, there's always going to be a transition but apple prides themselves on the most robust and straight-forward UI designs so I don't think it'll be a too difficult to wrap your head around.

Tiger vs. Leopard.. well, i'm in a quandary here. on the one hand, Leopard kicks ass! and is very close to gold master so by the time you've raised all your funds, it might already be out. on the other hand, if you wait around for the next version or upgrade of this and that to come out, you'll never buy anything! :D

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
There are rumors of entirely new MBs coming with Leopard. You should definitely wait if you can.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
There are rumors of entirely new MBs coming with Leopard. You should definitely wait if you can.

I've been wondering the same thing, however if the rumors speak true and it goes smaller i'd rather pass. I've been using a 12.1' dell 700m for almost 2 years and while I love the size I'd rather not go smaller in fact the extra inch might just be a great addition. However, whats out now is exactly what I would need, great for browsing and basic school related tasks. I'm never going to be doing that "professiona" with it, at least not in the predictable future. Waiting for leopard might be one thing, but waiting till January for the so called smaller macbook pros, well I just don't know if thats my cup of tea.

Absolutely there might be some very cool additions, ie the touchpad with iphone like capabilities etc.

It fits my basic needs, my daily needs and while I'm a new technology adapter to say the least I don't know if its worth waiting for something smaller, especially when smaller isn't the way I want to go.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
I'm never going to be doing that "professiona" with it, at least not in the predictable future. Waiting for leopard might be one thing, but waiting till January for the so called smaller macbook pros, well I just don't know if thats my cup of tea.

We're talking about MacBooks and Oktobre not MBPs or Ultraportables and January... :rolleyes:

Island Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
St. Cloud, FL.
I'm looking into getting a MacBook myself, but I'm waiting until Leopard comes out. There is no use buying it now and then paying for an upgrade.

I also hope the rumors of a MB upgrade will be correct.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.