Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djhspawn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
I have a new Maxtor 500GB on the way right now. I would like a little assistance if possible with how to go about setting this up. Now currently I have my 160GB HD partitioned for windows as well. I really dont care about wiping windows since I only use it for gaming. But I would like to transfer everything that my OSX partition has onto the 500GB just like nothing ever happened, and then have the 160GB HD for windows alone. Is this possible? Whats the easiest way to go about it? Your help is apreciated.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Probably the easiest method is to reinstall OS X (from the DVD) on to the new drive then use the Migration Assistant to move everything on your current disk to the new one. This moved all my apps and all the users home directories when I tried it.

Check everything you want has been moved then wipe the original and reinstall XP.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
The other option is to use carbon copy cloner to move all the files. Boot off the 500 gb. Then wipe the 160.

djhspawn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
Thanks for the help folks. I beleive the first suggestion will be the best for me. But will that also migtrate my Windows partition? Also, I have never done a fresh install of OSX before. Do I just install the new HD and put the DVD in the tray? I asume its easy I just want to be sure.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
But will that also migtrate my Windows partition? Also, I have never done a fresh install of OSX before..

No it won't migrate your Windows partition, it's probably easiest if you can delete it and start again. Not sure what tools are out there for resizing a bootcamp partition if any.

Also, I have never done a fresh install of OSX before. Do I just install the new HD and put the DVD in the tray? I asume its easy I just want to be sure.

Yeah pretty much, just boot from the dvd and select the new drive when asked. When the Migration Assistant launches pick 'Migrate from another partition on this Mac' and pick the original boot drive.

djhspawn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
No it won't migrate your Windows partition, it's probably easiest if you can delete it and start again. Not sure what tools are out there for resizing a bootcamp partition if any.

Yeah pretty much, just boot from the dvd and select the new drive when asked. When the Migration Assistant launches pick 'Migrate from another partition on this Mac' and pick the original boot drive.

You folks are awsome, thanks for all the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.