Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
Mac MINI M1 16g RAM ...running some instrument plugins and I am getting a random "click/pop" sound...any suggestions where to start looking for a cause?

It's not overly loud, but is noticeable and there is no pattern...just happens in a very random way sometimes two or three times in a minute and then sometimes not for five minutes.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Depends if you live in colder area with heat and static electricity is almost common! Plus it's well known USB cable were really sensitive to other cables around it! That's why more expensive cables are starting to shielded just like shielded ethernet cables to prevent cross talk!

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
The most common cause of random pops is an incorrect digital clock setting with an audio interface. If you're using an interface, make sure it is the master clock and make sure it and your software have the same sample rate setting. If you're not using an interface, I'd check the audio settings for your Mac and the software your using.

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
I can't make any adjustments to sample rates in Monterey - looked in Audio /Midi setup...it reads 48khz (no other options) which I think is the same for the device...not sure it is actually changeable tbh....so that possible rules that out as a source....maybe it's just a random fluro noise on the power line??

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
Yeah, thanks - I have used the same plugs on a W 11 device (same audio I/f) and there were no pops or clicks on it.

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
I may have found the culprit -

The host app Camelot Pro has this (still beta) thing called Multi-Core Priority and Allocation - and the explanation it has is : " Your system has 8 Cores with a total of 8 Logical Processors that can be Allocated. In the current song, you are using 4 Logical Processors for software instruments and FX" this is set at 80%.

It has settings at 60%, 40% and 20% and I got pops and cracks even at 20%. When I turned this off, the pops disappeared. So this thing, whatever it is supposed to do, doesn't seem to work very well, haha!

As an inexperienced macOS audio person, is something like this even necessary?

Reactions: 3rdpath

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've never really used a plugin host as I've always been using a DAW. So…I've never heard of that feature.

A lot of macOS musicians use Apple's Mainstage for VIs, however.

pax-eterna

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2022
I've never really used a plugin host as I've always been using a DAW. So…I've never heard of that feature.

A lot of macOS musicians use Apple's Mainstage for VIs, however.

Yeah I did d/l and install when I first got the Mac Mini - but found it really awkward and counter-intuitive (for me!) and ditched it...I do note there are many thousands of musos using it though, so I put it down to user stupidity :-D ...might re-acquire it and have another try....especially if these noises do not abate...bit embarrassing at a gig I must say!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.