Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Hey folks,

about a week ago any music being played through my headphones started to sound very tinny (as if it was being played from the bottom of a well). It’s basically unlistenable to.

I’ve done the usual things, checked the headphones, restarted, reinstalled the software etc .. pretty much everything to fix it. No joy..

I’m guessing that it’s a hardware issue with the headphone jack.

The guy in my local apple store agreed with me however (as I didn’t have an appointment at the “genius bar” ) I couldn’t get this confirmed. More importantly, the guy in the store told me that they currently had no iphones in stock so, even if it was faulty, I couldn’t get a replacement - so what do I do?

Do you guys think that I should wait until the 3G iphone comes out and try and blag a new model? I don’t think it’s unreasonable request as it’s hardly my fault that it broke in the first place (it's in great condition).

Also, I use this phone for work – so I really can’t afford to be without a phone for even a day … (so waiting 2 weeks for repairs is out of the question..)

Ideas and suggestions please !

Robin

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
They have units for replacement.

And if you get it replaced while the new one is out, you'll get an iphone similar to the one you sent in.

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
They have units for replacement.

And if you get it replaced while the new one is out, you'll get an iphone similar to the one you sent in.

was hoping for a new model!! I understand that with a insurance claim (where i lost/broke the phone) i'd get a 8gig model... however, as this isnt my fault, i'd have thought they'd give me an upgrade..

Is it Apples policy to hold older stock models in store for replacement? If so, why do they currently have none in stock..

anyone had any experience with this ?

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
You WILL NOT get a new iPhone if you wait.

This happened to me when my 3G iPod bit the dust. I thought I was all smug and get a new video iPod out of the deal because hey, who has old U2 iPods in stock. Nope they took it and sent me back a refurbished U2 iPod. Oh well.

If you take it in and the store has no replacements. They will have to have one sent. I repeat you WILL NOT get a free upgrade. Never in a million years will you get a free upgrade. Companies do not work this way.

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
You WILL NOT get a new iPhone if you wait.

This happened to me when my 3G iPod bit the dust. I thought I was all smug and get a new video iPod out of the deal because hey, who has old U2 iPods in stock. Nope they took it and sent me back a refurbished U2 iPod. Oh well.

If you take it in and the store has no replacements. They will have to have one sent. I repeat you WILL NOT get a free upgrade. Never in a million years will you get a free upgrade. Companies do not work this way.

I understand that they may not work like that (they got to make a profit) , but customer satisfaction should mean something ..

Honestly, waiting for a replacement phone to be shipped is unacceptable.
I really can't have my work phone out of service for anything longer than 24hours.

Hopefully apple will understand this. Going without an ipod for a few weeks is fine (it's not going to really make a huge impact on your life) however going without a contrct phone (that you're paying daily for) is not.

Im also a little bit annoyed to be sent away by the guy at store who told me to come back when they have some in stock. :/

Oh well, I guess I'll find out in a few weeks!

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
Yeah well that maybe with Applecare. I certainly didn't get an "upgraded" Powerbook when I had Applecare on it. And those were probably due to problems that were completely unfixable. Not to mention computers aren't even in the same class as an iPod or iPhone.

Just make an appointment with the Genius Bar. If anything they will give you a loaner phone while they wait for a new one. Or you can get a cheap go phone to tide you over.

You also have to take into consideration all the shleps that come in after a new product is released and try to con Apple into giving them a free upgrade. ESPECIALLY since the 3G iPhone is going to be brand new and they will most likely be strapped for stock as it is. Yet alone be able to give out freeby upgrades when I'm pretty positive they have a good stock of refurbs to replace broken phones with.

Basically Apple doesn't owe you anything. They don't owe you an upgraded phone, and as long as they fulfill their end of the warranty bargain you pretty much have to take it.

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Why should Apple give you a new 3G phone instead of a similar model?? That is insane!!

You say it is broken.....how can it be in great condition if it is broken???

You must be a Democrat......you want something for nothing!!!

it can be in great physical condition even if it's broken. I was saying that it’s obvious that I haven’t physically smashing the thing up …
Also, to stop additional flames, I was not trying to imply that they are obliged to give me a new model. I was just saying that making someone wait for weeks for a replacement because they dont have any in stock (especially when they're paying a contract) isn't great service.
Of course I wont complain if they give me a new 8 gig model - but i do think it's irritating to be sent away from the store because of stock issues..
Sorry if I upset anyone, I really didn’t mean to ..

Cheers
Rob
PS: On a side note; I really don’t appreciate political jibes – I thought these forums attracted a higher degree of sophistication.

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
You must be a Democrat......you want something for nothing!!!

And if by nothing you mean he's paid for a $400 device with a ~$60 monthly fee that he can no longer use because of stock issues? Your political affiliation sure is evident :rolleyes:

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
OP just because the sales guys says they have no iphones in stock, doesn't mean they don't have replacements in the back. Make the appointment, talk to the genius bar, then see if they have any. I bet they got refurbs back there they will give you and are out of stock of brand new iphones, which is what the sales guy was probably confirming. No you won't get a new model if you were to wait. Please don't say its ridiculous to wait for a replacement, if indeed they don't have any (which you never took the time to confirm it seems). Your phone works, apple won't hold it hostage until a replacement comes in. If you use it for work, my guess is you don't need to listen to music. So why all the fuss?

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
Also if it is the case that they have to send away for a new refurb, it will be rather quick. If you are upset about having to pay service when your iPhone is in the shop, call ATT and have a word with them. Most likely they will comp or prorate that month. Or like I said give you a loaner phone. Just because the store might not have any replacements in stock doesn't mean the whole company of Apple does not have any instock.

When my Powerbook and iPod died, I also "needed" them, but you just have to hold tight.

It's nothing personal against you, there are just about 5 threads a day about people thinking that if they wait until the new iPhone is released to get their old one fixed they believe some myth that it automatically entitles them to a new model.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
I understand that they may not work like that (they got to make a profit) , but customer satisfaction should mean something ..

Honestly, waiting for a replacement phone to be shipped is unacceptable.
I really can't have my work phone out of service for anything longer than 24hours.

Umm...so you werent satisfied with your current model of the iPhone? And if you can wait for a new version to ship, than you can easily wait for the old. Sometimes you get lucky and get an upgrade, but be thankful if you just get your's replaced. It seems a bit like you're expecting an upgrade because of your trouble. Financially, I dont think Apple and/or AT&T can do that with all the returned ones.

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
well guys, thanks for all your help! great to hear all your input...

cheers

Rob

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
People have received MacBook Pros to replace G4 PowerBooks, Mac Pros to replace G5 PowerMacs, and newer iMacs to replace older ones.

Applecare's a beautiful thing.

But this is a phone, not a computer; Apple should at least learn a thing or two from all the manufacturers who's made phones all these years!

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
But this is a phone, not a computer; Apple should at least learn a thing or two from all the manufacturers who's made phones all these years!

Uh...learn a thing or two? Unless someone can show me the failure rates of iphone:normal phones, I dont think there's proof for that remark. Unless I'm missing something....

Either way, other manufacturers dont give free upgrades for warranty/insurance work except in special cases. In fact, Asurion sometimes just has to give a replacement model that is roughly the same value, and quite possibly could not have the features the other phone did. Like I said, be thankful you're with an iPhone and can get a replacement if it breaks.

uricmu

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
Does anyone know if broken 4GBs are replaced for 8GBs or for older 4GBs? Do they still have 4GBs in stock?

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
People have reported getting 8gb's when their 4gb's have broken. I think it's a gamble either way as you can't demand or expect anything from Apple except an exact replacement. They will try their hardest to replace the 4gb, and if they can't then you would most likely get an 8gb.

But don't take this as a "Woohoo free upgrade" and try to scam it out of Apple because it wont work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.