Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2727

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
UK
So I promise I've tried looking this up!

Anyone got any suggestions how to get photos (from the photo library as opposed to the camera roll) off an original/first-gen 2007 iPhone?

- If you use macOS photos.app or Image Capture to import then it can only 'see' the 'Camera Roll' folder on the original (2007) iPhone
- If you use iTunes on an old Mac (I've tried iTunes 12 on a El Capitan machine) the option to 'synch photos' appears to be a one way street i.e. it will synch photos from the Mac to the iPhone but not the other way round
- If you open it as a USB storage device in Windows Explorer on a WIN10 PC you can again only see the Camera Roll folder
- On the iPhone itself (iOS 2.2!) you can email the photos or send to MobileMe (the former would be very laborious and the latter is defunct)

Anyone got any ideas??

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands

Mac2727

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
UK
Thanks but unfortunately that doesn’t work and it’s the same for other 3rd party apps like iMazing, etc.
I presume this is some limitation of the iOS 2 file system and the photos are in some inaccessible library/container

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Thanks but unfortunately that doesn’t work and it’s the same for other 3rd party apps like iMazing, etc.
I presume this is some limitation of the iOS 2 file system and the photos are in some inaccessible library/container
It should be compatible, but I cannot find any information on it online either. Most of the forum topics from the time are hard to find. I did jailbreak these 2G models at the time because they were sim-locked, I have some experience with iExplorer but it has been a while.

Do you get an error message or does the program not recognise the phone? You are running version 3 of iExplorer on an older macOS version right?

Mac2727

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
UK
I was being an idiot and using version 4 of iExplorer. Switched to version 3 and it works!
Managed to get all the photos off the phone.

Thanks so much for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.