Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anouka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
Hi all!
I have an old iphone 5 with a completely dead screen, and I'd love to be able to get some things off it (primarily voice memos of a lost family member). Anyone have any thoughts? Should I take it to some sort of data retrieval place, or is there a way to pull it off through a computer myself? Try to get the screen fixed somewhere? There's no backup of this phone unfortunately, at the time I didn't consider anything to be irreplaceable on it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

anouka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
In case the touchscreen still work (meaning, the display panel doesn't show anything, but the device still captures your input), maybe you can try the Lightning to AV Adapter? https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

That way maybe you could see the display and set it up to synch with iCloud or any other services.
This might be a stupid question, but do I need an entirely different icloud account to do that if I already have one associated with my current iphone?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just swap the screen. It’s very easy if you have even a basic level of repair skills. Screens are very cheap. Probably $10 and 20 minutes of your time.

anouka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
Just swap the screen. It’s very easy if you have even a basic level of repair skills. Screens are very cheap. Probably $10 and 20 minutes of your time.
Ah I didn't realize it was that simple, I just watched a few videos and think I could manage it. As I remember, the screen had dimmed very dark and then went totally blank, so I'm not sure if it's the screen itself that's dead or if it's the backlighting or wiring or something, what would you think? I don't believe the phone had water damage & it's not cracked.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Yeap, that's the best option, and for such an old phone it should be dirty cheap. Alternatively, you could take it to any 3rd party repair shop

Reactions: anouka

anouka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
Yeap, that's the best option, and for such an old phone it should be dirty cheap. Alternatively, you could take it to any 3rd party repair shop
After messing with it a little more (ie plugging it into computer and trying to back up via icloud) the screen definitely doesn't register any touch but it made noises wanting me to input the 'trust this computer' confirmation, so I know it was on. If that's the case, it's probably true that a screen replacement should do it right? And it's not the LCD stuff which could be more advanced to repair? I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, just trying to decide if it's a bad idea to try this myself or not.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
After messing with it a little more (ie plugging it into computer and trying to back up via icloud) the screen definitely doesn't register any touch but it made noises wanting me to input the 'trust this computer' confirmation, so I know it was on. If that's the case, it's probably true that a screen replacement should do it right? And it's not the LCD stuff which could be more advanced to repair? I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, just trying to decide if it's a bad idea to try this myself or not.
On iPhone 5, just get a whole screen replacement. It’ll be an LCD with the backlight, touch sensor, and the glass. The home button will be included as well. No need to get a high quality one.

anouka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
Thank you all so much. I just got the replacement kit and have one last very stupid question - with no screen, I can't tell for sure if the phone is on or off. Will it fry my hand if I open it up & it's no powered down? Is there some other way to see if it's for sure off?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Thank you all so much. I just got the replacement kit and have one last very stupid question - with no screen, I can't tell for sure if the phone is on or off. Will it fry my hand if I open it up & it's no powered down? Is there some other way to see if it's for sure off?
Hmm, interesting question. I would imagine that you'll be fine. Just use plastic spudgers and the first step once you open it is to disconnect the battery anyway.

I watch a lot of repair videos on youtube and most of these guys wear black rubber/latex gloves. Maybe that's why they do it so that they can protect themselves from small shocks.

• Love

anouka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2014
Hi All, I just wanted to thank you all for your advice & update this in case anyone else stumbles on it later. I did buy the screen replacement kit off amazon, but the first one I bought was literally just the screen - not the LCD stuff. :rolleyes: Obviously my stupid mistake not knowing what I was looking at. The second one I got was perfect and actually had everything attached already, so I didn't have to move a lot of parts over like most of the youtube videos showed, so bonus! One of the videos I watched actually showed the repairer accidentally turning the phone on while removing the old screen, and he showed how to disconnect the battery, so that answered my question about that. In the end, the replacement was super fast & easy... now if I could just remember the damn password I used circa iphone 5!
Thanks again for your patience & advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.