Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
It's like having the same phone number on two separate phones. It cannot be done. When one serial number is attached to one account it is spoken for.

I activate and sell these phones for a living. If I tried a normal phone with an IMEI on one account and then try to account it on another it gives me an error saying it is attached to another account.

And also point taken if an iPhone was bought within this close to release date they aren't going to do anything probably. Getting an iPhone a week before launch does not count for upgrade I am willing to bet on.

If for some reason this does work, I guarantee AT&T and Apple will catch on to this and put a stop to it. In my opinion if your not eligible your not eligible, wait your time period or pay the price.

It's people that cheat the system that ruin it for the rest of us all the time.
AT&T has clearly stated that any iPhone purchased / activated before July 11 would receiven and "Upgrade Eligible" status to allow them to purchase the iPhone 3G for $199/$299. The key here is to have activated an iPhone and have a valid iPhone data plan on the contract. Here is the press release that discusses the "Availibility" and the July 11 date!

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25883

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
AT&T has clearly stated that any iPhone purchased / activated before July 11 would receiven and "Upgrade Eligible" status to allow them to purchase the iPhone 3G for $199/$299. The key here is to have activated an iPhone and have a valid iPhone data plan on the contract. Here is the press release that discusses the "Availibility" and the July 11 date!

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=25883

Then that should clarify that this does not work. I myself have owned my iPhone since September 1st so I am not worried.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Then that should clarify that this does not work. I myself have owned my iPhone since September 1st so I am not worried.
No, it clarifies that is does work! You just have to have it done by July 10. As of July 11, it will no longer work, the loophole will be closed.

You could buy, borrow, or even steal an iPhone and as long as you activicate it with a valid iPhone voice / data plan by July 10, you will be "Upgrade Eligible" for the $199/$299 price!:)

x0lliex

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
It will not work. I wanna see verification of this. I have not see hard evidence of it working at all.

Why wont it work, you have no evidence it wont. I have seen a few posts confirming it does work. I will add one more, I have personally done this by lending my iphone to someone, they activate it, I take back the iphone. Now it shows they are eligible for an upgrade just like I am. Will people please stop spreading lies about things they haven't tried themselves.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I still don't see proof it works. People saying "OMG, it worked!" is not proof.

Legitimately it should not work because the phone is attached to another account.

I am going to laugh if by them doing this for themselves removes yourself from being able to upgrade.

Either way I would not risk it for myself by letting someone else try it with my iPhone. If there not able to upgrade it's there problem not yours. But you all do what you want to.

x0lliex

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
yes this did work. Hope you all didn't listen to the negative uninformed comments being posted in this thread. I activated my old iPhone on another line last week, then put my sim back in the phone. We both showed up as eligible in the AT&T system. Then on Friday we both upgraded to the new iPhone at the 16gb $299 price. Even though one line wasn't eligble until September before activating the iPhone on the plan. Even on my line, the original iPhone purchaser, if it wasn't for the iPhone upgrade rule, I wouldn't have been eligible because I got a subsidized blackjack in July 2007.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.