Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasonhastings03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
I have a Samsung T5 and when I go to disk Utility and erase the drive I am able to name it and format it but there is no option for Scheme to select GUID so that I can get it ready to put windows on the drive. Can someone please help?

jbc3

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
Format the drive Fat32 using Boot Camp that external! Then take the Windows Machine installer will format that drive!

Watch this video:

I have a question I am hoping you might be able to answer. I did this procedure on a Samsung T5 drive and it worked perfectly. I have been using it and running Windows 10 without any problem for several months. I created the bootable windows 10 drive on a new 27" iMac running Mojave. I would really like to also use it on a 2016 MacBook Pro running Yosemite but it will not boot. The drive is recognized but when I try to boot to it, it says that I don't have permission to use the drive.

Is this just a permission issue that can be overcome, or is this because the T5 bootable drive was created in Mojave, running newer versions of BootCamp, etc and older system can't recognize?

Thanks.

Jim

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I put that in the thread because you didn't mention what you have. But yes, neither of your machines have the T2 chip.

jbc3

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
In reading some additional information, I now remember that the message I get when trying to boot the external "Windows to go" drive is, or something very similar:

"You can't change the startup disc to the selected disc. The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk."

Not sure if that helps zero in on the issue?
[automerge]1575322013[/automerge]
Just read a thread about someone having trouble creating a bootable drive that uses USB 3.0. Could it be that my 2016 MacBook Pro does not support USB 3.0? NEVER MIND, IT LOOKS LIKE THE t5 IS COMPATIBLE WITH usb 2.0 AND 3.0.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.