Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nakedsocrates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2020
What are the realities of getting into iOS development for someone with no coding background? I realize there is a lot to learn and it’s not easy but desire and determination is there.

Just asking in relation to the current landscape, future projections and iOS development in general.

Still worth it to pursue as a career change? I’m fully aware it might take a few years to be fully competent to design decent apps or take an iOS developer position.

Anyone wants to share their thoughts?

Reactions: slooksterPSV

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
What are the realities of getting into iOS development for someone with no coding background? I realize there is a lot to learn and it’s not easy but desire and determination is there.

Just asking in relation to the current landscape, future projections and iOS development in general.

Still worth it to pursue as a career change? I’m fully aware it might take a few years to be fully competent to design decent apps or take an iOS developer position.

Anyone wants to share their thoughts?
I have nil DEGREE Software.

Software development is the easiest part but when dealing with human interaction it's just harder. Too many languages and frameworks. Avoid framework plague as you can because it introduces bad code structure/advice.

My Suggestion
Create an apps based on your current situation and implement it. If you just depend on company DON'T..

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
The most important: have a goal you love that you want to pursue. This way, you'll be able to learn. Reading tutorials and trying to reproduce stuff won't work. Just have a goal that gives you motivation.

chamabreu

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2020
Hi,
i am new here. Just want to share my thoughts, cause I was/am at the same position like you.

I live in Germany and I am an Audio Engineer. Last year i found me often think about optimizing repeating workflows and found Apple Scripts and had a lot of fun.

In January this year i startet thinking about learning to Code to switch to Software Development or maybe even combine these 2 areas.

I googled a lot and so many people said: Just get started with Online-Courses - don't sign in for an expensive Degree or something like that.

So I found Udemy and found a Course (was discounted, as all 3 Weeks on Udemy) about over 50+ Hours Swift Coding.

Learning curve was AWESOME.
Its now 6 Month ago, i have a part-timejob 2-3 Days per week as Audio Engineer and the other time i am coding.
In the meanwhile I am starting to search Jobs that fit to Me, and there are some i am going to Apply in a few weeks.

What i want to say:
I am on the way to become a Software Developer - Out of Nothing!!!
And it is SO MUCH FUN - and so many people say it is not impossible to get a Job in the first 6-12 Months after starting Coding.

So: Keep up and start! You loose nothing!

My Advice:
Look for a Course, start learning the Basics, and create a App ON YOUR OWN. With an own Idea. You gonna learn so much from that - very fast.
Don't stick only to tutorials, you gonna get lost cause your creativity needs to keep expanding with your knowledge!

Maybe i could help with my Experience, even if i am no Software Developer - yet ;)

Greetings,
Manuel

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: unita_logica

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
There are many languages you can learn; and its easy to get spoiled with some of them. For me, its C# and its LINQ abilities. But I like Swift and its readability. AppleScript is a great way to type some code and see what happens. A few tips when learning to program:

1) Start small, don't do the go big or go home. No. Instead implement something simple that you may use or would like to see. Change a few things and see what reacts differently. Example: build a simple calculator to do math functions; do an adlib program where you prompt for adverbs, adjectives, and what not; build a program that takes an order and outputs the item, quantity, and total. Implement taxes too.

2) If you get discouraged, take a break. I've had to look up some of the simplest questions. E.g., how do I declare a variable of type ____ in ____. Even the best most advanced experts search for simple things.

3) Don't worry about algorithms in the beginning. They seem exciting and new, but really, a lot of libraries will do what you want already.

4) Search on DuckDuckGo, Bing, Google, etc. for questions you have. Many times, its been asked.

5) Build and run your program often. It sucks to get close to being finished and find out the middle of it won't work how you expected. I've done this, reworked code, etc. all to find out it was a simple small issue.

6) Use names that make sense to you. X, Y, I, J, don't make sense. For example, if you're getting user information like first and last name, use the names firstName, lastName (or surName) instead of fn, ln. Believe me, the more descriptive the variable names and functions, the easier it is to read what the code is doing. Even functions:
Code:
// C#
//... removed for berevity
string userFirstName = GetUserFirstName();
string userLastName = GetUserLastName();

7) If you ever need help, please ask. There are so many people that can help with so many things. While we may not all be experts in one area or another, we can offer guidance. But don't feel like programming is something you have to do alone. Ask questions. It's very helpful. =)

Finally, here's some links to help you get started:
https://tutorialspoint.com/ - they have lots of simple quick tutorials for things like C#, Java, JavaScript, Swift, etc.
Apple Books - Swift 5.2 Book is free.
https://stackoverflow.com/ - great resource for asking coding help or seeing if someone's asked the same questions.
Twitter and #100DaysOfCode - I recommend looking at tweets related to 100DaysOfCode because lots of people are doing just that. Learning about it and tweeting their experience. =)
YouTube - as odd as that sounds, there are some good tutorials on there.

unita_logica

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2004
I've been a software engineer for a long time now, and i worked with people at all levels, including people with zero computer science background. What i've seen is that often times they were able to get proficient pretty quickly because they were highly motivated. So I think finding your own motivation and not give up when you'll find an obstacle is the most important thing. It is a lot of work, but it can be rewarding as chamabreu said.

I do believe you will need some Computer Science foundations and for this a good course or at the very least a good book would be important. I cannot recommend courses, because i have not taken any directly, but for books I have found the Big Nerd Ranch's books usually very good. Anything by Aaron Hillegass is top notch (although his older Objective-C books were even better, but that's before iOS). That's what i used to learn macOS and then iOS development. I just noticed they have a Swift Programming book that does not assume you have a programming background. I didn't read that one, but it looks good.

The other thing i wanted to mention that I think will be extremely valuable is to find somebody to do this together. Bouncing ideas / doubts / problems and wins with another person will amplify and speed up your learning experience by an order of magnitude.

And if you have friends who have done software programming, even if it's not iOS, they can definitely still be a super valuable resource for general algorithms and data structuring problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.