Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I'm getting an iPhone 5 with iOS6 6.0 installed. Do I just do a back up from my restoration iPhone version 6.1.6 off my 3GS and/or I think I also have a restoral back up from my iPhone 4s that is also 6.1.6?

Is there a way to upgrade the IOS6 6.0 to 6.1.6 from Apple?

Also i notice my iPad is running 6.1.3, should I try to upgrade it with an iPhone back up (can I do that?) to 6.1.6?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As I recall 6.1.6 was only made available to 3GS phones, so no way to get it on any later phone (like 4S, 5, etc.).

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
You have to modify the backup so that it identifies as 6.0 instead of 6.1.3. Then it will work.

There are detailed tutorials on how to do it.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
You have to modify the backup so that it identifies as 6.0 instead of 6.1.3. Then it will work.

There are detailed tutorials on how to do it.

Well, I messed up and didn't click on the "restore from this backup" thing but instead just registered it as a new iphone on my computer.

Now I cannot use my old 6.1.x back ups, right?

How do I restore or wipe clean my phone without upgrading the iOS?

The fact I had to upgrade to itunes 10.7 for the iPhone 5 threw me for a loop, too.

WHAT DO I DO NOW? The phone is fine, still on 6.0 but I want to restore it from one of my own old backups.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Personally I wouldn't bother with syncing a ver old back up to a new device, just start as new and you won't have problems in the future with some files being corrupted.

Contacts and etc, sync with iCloud and pics, manually pull them out of your 3GS if you really want to sync them.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Well, I messed up and didn't click on the "restore from this backup" thing but instead just registered it as a new iphone on my computer.

Now I cannot use my old 6.1.x back ups, right?

How do I restore or wipe clean my phone without upgrading the iOS?

The fact I had to upgrade to itunes 10.7 for the iPhone 5 threw me for a loop, too.

WHAT DO I DO NOW? The phone is fine, still on 6.0 but I want to restore it from one of my own old backups.

Nothing needs to be done on the phone. You still just need to do what I mentioned before, which is to modify the iTunes backup so that instead of being for iOS 6.1.6, it is for 6.0.

It doesn't matter if you already set up the phone. You can still hit the "Restore Backup" button to restore it.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Nothing needs to be done on the phone. You still just need to do what I mentioned before, which is to modify the iTunes backup so that instead of being for iOS 6.1.6, it is for 6.0.

It doesn't matter if you already set up the phone. You can still hit the "Restore Backup" button to restore it.
Personally I wouldn't bother with syncing a ver old back up to a new device, just start as new and you won't have problems in the future with some files being corrupted.

Contacts and etc, sync with iCloud and pics, manually pull them out of your 3GS if you really want to sync them.

Thanks for the advice... I think I'm going to call Apple about it, still have ACplus on the old 4S that they forced me to upgrade to ios7. Glad I had the 3GS backed up to the latest version of the 4S on ios6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.