Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Right, seeing as I just realized the price of a mid-range MacBook is cheaper than a entry level MacBook in the US, I think it would definatly be cheaper, but would it be practical to get it shipped from the US? I know I would need to get a new charger (from where?) but is there anything else (except the warranty) that might be a problem?

Thanks in advance :apple:

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
So basically, theres no point.

If you go to the USA, buy it, unbox it and claim you brought it with you from home, will that work to avoid charges?

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
So basically, theres no point.

If you go to the USA, buy it, unbox it and claim you brought it with you from home, will that work to avoid charges?

Just done that method myself! BOught one from CyberGypsy on here and my dad brought it back from me as he was visiting family over there! Customs never even loked twice.

And you wouldn't need a new charger, just a plug to convert the american two prong thing to a real plug :p

Do it, you know you wanna! :)

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Yep, that works perfectly.

Woo! Now to buy plain tickets :D

Luckily, my mum goes on buisness trips to the USA twice a year, so ill see when the next one will happen, and if she will help me out...

Thanks for the help guys!

EDIT: This is not illegal is it?

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
If you really wanted the box you could always empty it, and just send it home empty. It'll cost, but not too much. If customs open it, it's just an empty box :)

Enjoy the macbook if/when you get one..they're ace!

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Yes it probably is, but who cares! :D (joke)

Apple should learn a fair pricing policy for the uk though, it sucks how we have to pay so much more!

I think Australia is even worse too!

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
Woo! Now to buy plain tickets :D

Luckily, my mum goes on buisness trips to the USA twice a year, so ill see when the next one will happen, and if she will help me out...

Thanks for the help guys!

only problem you might get, depending on where you get it, is having a legitimate delivery address in the states and sometimes they only accept US cards. However, it is worth a try.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
only problem you might get, depending on where you get it, is having a legitimate delivery address in the states and sometimes they only accept US cards. However, it is worth a try.

Yeah, his best bet would be to get his mum to go into an actual apple shop and pick one up. Fine if a standard model is required, sucks if he wants a BTO

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
Because in America we use imaginary plugs, you'll learn that real quick once you get here. =)

:D you know our plugs make sense! hehe

For all i know USA might not even exist, i've never been....perhaps your whole nation is imaginary!....why do i always get suckered into going off topic!

:)

durant0s

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
:D you know our plugs make sense! hehe

For all i know USA might not even exist, i've never been....perhaps your whole nation is imaginary!....why do i always get suckered into going off topic!

:)

We don't exist, we are just a figment of Parliment's imagination to make themselves look like genuises. O man does it work.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

you mean illegal as in failing to properly declare your overseas purchases in order to evade tax you're supposed to pay?

And speaking of tax, don't forget you'll most likely have to add a sales tax to those USA prices you're seeing.

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
17.5% VAT and then customs duty on that too.

and there's no might about it. you WILL get charged.

oh, and don't forget the fee Parcelforce/DHL whoever will probably charge you for settling the fees so they can deliver them to you.

UK is not signatory to the Singapore Agreement? If it is then there shouldn't be customs, only sales tax.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
People overseas always seems to forget about sales tax in America and complain about the prices.:rolleyes:

But the USA tax is far less, and can it not be avoided by buying from states such as Delaware, and from places such as Amazon?

Anyhow, i'm just happy i got mine for cheap from the good olf U.S of A. Thanks :D

durant0s

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
But the USA tax is far less, and can it not be avoided by buying from states such as Delaware, and from places such as Amazon?

Anyhow, i'm just happy i got mine for cheap from the good olf U.S of A. Thanks :D

Sales tax unavoidable somewhere in the U.S.A.? HA, I think not. As they might not actually tax each individual sale in Deleware, they tax the buisness an extra gross tax, so the product cost more. If your in the U.S.A., your getting taxed possibly more then once, whether you know it or not.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
So if you buy a macbook in delaware the base cost is different to say new york, or texas etc? I have never been to sunny usa so have no idea really. Not that i care too much either, i just know we pay too much tax over here! (as i bet everyone thinks):D

Those Governments are stealing all of our money!! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.