Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Okay, here soon, as soon as my powerbook g4 12" sells (sad to see such an incredible computer go), I'm getting myself a macbook pro 15"... The Core2duo version, 256mb vid. ram, etc.

I've cloned my powerbooks hard drive to an external 80gb firewire drive. My powerbook is PowerPC so I know I won't be able to clone everything back onto the Macbook Pro when I get it because of the x86/PPC difference. I've never used the OS/x migration assistant that copies old computer's information through firewire or from external drive to the new computer, I'm finding that i'm going to have to use it. On my backup drive I have like 12GB of applications, my whole User home fold FULL of application setting in my library, TONs of application settings and data in the system library folder, 35gb of music, ... etc.

I'm just wondering if the migration assistant will copy all of my applications, application libraries, system libraries, User Libraries, Os/x system settings, etc... Will it set me back to where I was on my powerbook when I restore everything on the macbook pro with the migration assistant?

Anything else I need to know and get prepared for when I receive my macbook pro?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.