Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Hi folks!

I'm hoping that someone here can help me out a bit. I'm trying to get my PowerBook to see and be visible to some Windows machines that are on a secure network.

I'm working in a lab where there are a handful of Windows machines that are secured with NTLM v2. They are basically set up as a peer-to-peer network (there is no real server - no version of Windows Server that could have Services for Macintosh installed - though I'm not sure I'd do that if I could as I've had really bad experiences with it in the past).

Accessing the router, I can see each of the computers on the LAN, including my PowerBook, and see the IP addresses given to each. I even tried using the IP address to go directly to one of the other machines from the desktop "Connect to Server..." command. (That got me a -34 error code.)

So, does anyone have any ideas about what I need to do to be able to get in to the network with my PB? For what it's worth, I have full admin privileges on all of the Windows machines, but I don't want to diminish the security of the network (it's been hacked in the past).

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Snowy_River

Sounds like a similar issue I had to address with the Novell Trust network I have at work.

As for using the Mac to connect, I still haven't been successful. However, I can network to the mac from the Windows machines.

I did this by creating a new User account - a 'Proxy' account, that hac the same credentials (UID, PW) as my primary windows box.

Once done, all you have to do is enable Windows File sharing, and Map Network Drive to the IP Address and home folder

EX. \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\homefolder

Then I opened all of the permissions of the proxy account on the Mac and still use the main account to access it.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Well, my first attempt at this approach failed. When I attempt to map a network drive (under NT4) it prompts me for a username and password (I did set up an account that is identical to the NT4 station for UID and PW). If I enter the UID and PW, it says that one or the other is incorrect. I've even tried it using my PB's primary UID and PW, but those are rejected, too. This is quite frustrating. I'm considering installing an FTP client on the NT machine, and just FTPing into my PB.

I'd still like to get this figured out properly, though...

Any further thoughts?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Snowy_River
Well, my first attempt at this approach failed. When I attempt to map a network drive (under NT4) it prompts me for a username and password (I did set up an account that is identical to the NT4 station for UID and PW).

-Snowy_River

Barring something that is unique to your situation, I had a similar reaction with my machine.

I was getting the same thing with the Win2k machine until I had the UID/PW syched with the Novell Logon, the Windows Logon, and the Network permissions on the File server.

I had to get IT involved to help me with the synching, but once done, it worked like a champ.

Once corrected, the NT$ machine shouldn't prompt you for a UID/PW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.