Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I'm excited! I've got several Macs that on use on a daily basis...one at each of my two offices, a laptop, and one at home. I had one PPC Mac left (my DP 1.8Ghz G5 in one of my offices), and I was just given permission to replace it with a new Mac Pro! Kind of weird how it happened too -- I had a PC in my office in addition to the G5, and the PC died. I asked if I could just replace the PC with another beater that we had lying around, and I was told I could buy a new one if I wanted to. I opted to buy a new Mac instead because I'd be able to run Windows on it and just have one box in the office instead of two, and they said okay!

So, I just ordered a Mac Pro DP 2.66, with dual optical drives, and ordered an additional 1GB of RAM for it elsewhere. Can't wait!!!

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
So what are your plans for the G5? Selling it or keeping it

I work for a college and we are just getting started with a design/drafting program. They are slowly buying Macs, a few every year. My old one is just going to be rolled down to them.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Okay so now I have a techincal question:

My old G5 has a secondary SATA drive that I want to put in the new one. I noticed the Mac Pro uses 3Gb/s Serial ATA connections, which I'm assuming is faster than the ones in the old G5. Is it backwards compatible though? Can I put the SATA from my G5 into the Mac Pro?

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
Okay so now I have a techincal question:

My old G5 has a secondary SATA drive that I want to put in the new one. I noticed the Mac Pro uses 3Gb/s Serial ATA connections, which I'm assuming is faster than the ones in the old G5. Is it backwards compatible though? Can I put the SATA from my G5 into the Mac Pro?

Yes, SATA 1.5Gbps is compatible with the new 3.0Gbps connections in the new Mac Pro. Just plug and play.

JohnMC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.