Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juhani

macrumors member
Original poster
Hi,

I've never used Adobe tools before. And now i have a real desire to get comfortable with the new Creative Suite 2 which i already own. Right now i've borrowed a book Photoshop CS Bible by Deke McClelland (that was the newest one available) and i've already learnt how to do painting and brushing but the book is quite thick and you know...

So my question is, which is the best way to get started with Photoshop and other tools I need for web development? I'd like to get really serious with this so i'm actually willing to learn a lot and read a couple of books containing 600 pages each if it's really worth it.

Regards,
juhani

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Read, Read, read... and then practice......
Play around with photoshop and learn what each tool does and how it reacts.

Scott Kelby puts together the best books for PS (IMO).

Nothing can take the palce of JUST DOING IT... PRACTICE..

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
For learning your basic way around a program, I unhesitatingly recommend a twin-track approach.

One, use a book that has step-by-step tutorials and lessons to guide you around the functions of the software in a structured manner. Adobe's Classroom in a Book series is a good example of this kind of book.

Two, simultaneously use a more detailed 'Bible' type of book to expand and read up on the subject you are currently learning from the first book. These books are more like user manuals.

Until you have some facility with the software, I find it's best to avoid the 'tips and tricks' kind of books because they can tend to focus on one-stop solutions that don't provide a context within the software as a whole, only giving you the how, not the why.

Good luck!

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I like the "Wow" series of books by Jack Davis. The books come with more than just a CD and tutorials. I still use my Photoshop 7 Wow book for CS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.