Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dealtek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Hi all,

Newbie still getting started with IOT.

So I have a few IOT meross bulbs and plugs - all setup and working using just IOS home App.

Now with some help - I managed to create a secondary Network just for IOT items (for security)

Next I am attempting to set up a new device using the new safe IOT Network.

On my phone I switched the Wi-Fi network to the new IOT network.

Then I plugged in the NEW meross plug and went to the home app and tried to add new device - scanned the QR code and waited. Previously, other devices worked fine like this however this one ultimately failed.

Also it said things like my other devices are not on this Network…

Goal: ultimately I want to switch all IOT stuff to the safe IOT network. I am not sure how to get this set up.

Q: do I need to first dismantle all the other devices and set them up from scratch on the new net work? Or, what is the best way to switch everything over to the IOT Network?

Thanks Dave

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet. I can only share my experience with the separate networks for IoT devices.

The short answer is it's a huge headache. I set up separate networks for awhile to try it out and it worked fine however, I used it with my iPhone or iPad to perform so many different things I found I had to constantly switch networks in order for it to work.

When I walked in the door my phone would connect to one network which of course was never the IoT's network and when it came to updating software or firmware is was even more of a headache. Then there is always the dreaded command given which defaults back to either the iPhone or iPad to authenticate which was always on a different network because they were being used for internet related activities ie: geofencing, answering the phone, sending a text, watching TV, Videos, email and a whole host of other activities.

It really is a headache and you will need dedicated devices to use with discipline in order to make it work. Hopefully others can add their experiences because I'm sure they will differ from mine.

dealtek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks for your opinion. Sounds like a troublesome concept.

Is there a way to set up the network so that your main network devices iPhone iPad etc can control / talk to the IOT network but the IOT can not see the main network?

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Not that I know of but you can hide your WiFi network by not broadcasting it out. That means anyone looking for your network would not see it and need to know the name of the network not to mention any password for access.

SCP

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2017
This topic is one of the downsides of how Apple decided to not invite the others into the sandbox, i.e. not incorporating the z-wave protocol/devices which operate on a completely different frequency and mesh on their own sans wi-fi. Add in the greater product availability and less absurd pricing. HomeBridge* is the savior, but the simple point here is to sit back and be patient as Matter and Thread mature this year bringing much better security and easier integration. That said, patience is the virtue, as it will take longer than desired for devices to be approved, produced and to reach the store shelves.

*Keep your fingers crossed that the FCC approves Thinka like yesterday so it can finally be purchased/used in the US. Hoobs/R-pi/etc. work well for HomeBridge but Thinka makes it even easier.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
So a segregated LAN is created to protect your network devices and then there are complaints about the networks not being connected. Sheesh, but then its a decades old problem. You solve this by adding routing rules to your router or managed switch. There are tons of how to on the interweb, the specifics depend on your router and what kind of “security” compromises you are willing to make.

Otherwise there is plenty of pie in the sky confusion/BS there. Zwave, for one, is prohibited on our facilities because of serious security and support flaws, let alone pricing/licensing. Its not a very good "bandaid" approach with limited product support. Its not IoT as IoT is conventionally defined. The inferior technology has its fan boys, however. There are plenty of ideas that will die on the vine as they usually do.

The thread alternative to bluetooth (a separate wireless network topology than your ethernet) seems to be gaining traction. If all your devices are thread compatible, no need for a IoT network. Apple now includes thread compatibility in their devices. EVE and others have embraced it to replace bluetooth, it will be a much better alternative as more vendors add thread to their products.

But then what if the inexpensive device you want to use is WiFi IoT only? Well it back to a second internet connection via a segregated LAN..... and back to the OP's dilemma.... I mean if you really thing a IoT device is a security problem.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Hi all,

Newbie still getting started with IOT.

So I have a few IOT meross bulbs and plugs - all setup and working using just IOS home App.

Now with some help - I managed to create a secondary Network just for IOT items (for security)

Next I am attempting to set up a new device using the new safe IOT Network.

On my phone I switched the Wi-Fi network to the new IOT network.

Then I plugged in the NEW meross plug and went to the home app and tried to add new device - scanned the QR code and waited. Previously, other devices worked fine like this however this one ultimately failed.

Also it said things like my other devices are not on this Network…

Goal: ultimately I want to switch all IOT stuff to the safe IOT network. I am not sure how to get this set up.

Q: do I need to first dismantle all the other devices and set them up from scratch on the new net work? Or, what is the best way to switch everything over to the IOT Network?

Thanks Dave
All your old IoT devices that are still connected to the home network needs to be switched to your new isolated IoT network, usually by reseting the devices and setting them up from scratch. What are you using for the HomeKit hub? That also needs to be on the isolated IoT network or you need to define some rules in your router firewall so your Hub can penetrate the block between the two isolated networks. When you have a homekit-hub-server (IoT home) on the isolated IoT network, your phone connects to it just like you do when miles away from home. If the internet goes down, you will have to log into the local IoT network to manage it.

Last edited:

dealtek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Hi - sorry for the delay.

I am using Apple TV for the HomeKit hub - I also could use a HomePod mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.