Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I have offloaded all of my unused apps, it’s showing I am only using 55 of 256 GB of my iPhone X. I’m currently running iOS 11.3.1 and would like to update so I can use the Chase app and jailbreak again. I have tried plugging my phone in on WiFi and still getting this error, any suggestions? I currently have no access to a desktop, but could potentially use my parents if I absolutely have to although I am currently injured so this would be difficult. Thanks!
6B6C3080-DE19-4339-891C-BFF75C2CFAFB.png

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are there any profiles installed? Is this a jailbroken phone?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What do you mean profiles? No I am not currently jailbroken, how do I check the other?
It's something you can look for in Settings > General > Profiles (which would appear if any profiles are installed). Profiles can be installed to be part of Apple's public beta program, or a variety of all kinds of other things.

As far as being jailbroken, do you mean that it's a fresh stock install of iOS 11.3.1, or that it was jailbroken before and something was used to remove the jailbreak somehow?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
It's something you can look for in Settings > General > Profiles (which would appear if any profiles are installed). Profiles can be installed to be part of Apple's public beta program, or a variety of all kinds of other things.

As far as being jailbroken, do you mean that it's a fresh stock install of iOS 11.3.1, or that it was jailbroken before and something was used to remove the jailbreak somehow?
No profiles, however it was jailbroken before untethered and now I am no longer able to Jailbreak it. Cydia is still on my phone, should I just delete it or is there a safer way to remove all traces of jailbreak software on my device? Do I need to do a restore, and can I do that from my phone?
[automerge]1598633320[/automerge]
Yeah that’s either jail broken or reported stolen or as a trade in mix up.
How do I clean it

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No profiles, however it was jailbroken before untethered and now I am no longer able to Jailbreak it. Cydia is still on my phone, should I just delete it or is there a safer way to remove all traces of jailbreak software on my device? Do I need to do a restore, and can I do that from my phone?
If you are still jailbroken (even though it seems like you removed some aspects of the jailbreak) then it's likely not going to be properly check for updates on it's own. You might need to use a computer and restore it to the latest iOS that way.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
If you are still jailbroken (even though it seems like you removed some aspects of the jailbreak) then it's likely not going to be properly check for updates on it's own. You might need to use a computer and restore it to the latest iOS that way.
I can’t simply wipe the jailbreak from my phone by deleting cydia or other apps? To be clear I have literally zero aspects of the jailbreak other than the cydia app.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
What tool did you use to jailbreak it initially? Some tools have an option to disable updates so that you don't accidentally update that hang around even after it's not in a jailbroken state anymore.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
What tool did you use to jailbreak it initially? Some tools have an option to disable updates so that you don't accidentally update that hang around even after it's not in a jailbroken state anymore.
I think unc0ver

snkbn

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
If you used unc0ver, you must go onto the unc0ver app and click the little setting icon, and select 'Restore RootFS', then go back and hit the jailbreak button. Once that is complete successfully, there should be no Cydia or any traces of jailbreak on your iPhone.

You then need to go back on the unc0ver app, and deselect everything on the little settings icon - MAKE SURE "DISABLE OTA UPDATES" IS DISABLED. Then re-jailbreak your phone. Now once more, you have to repeat step one and restore RootFS, and when that is complete, you will be able to receive software updates like normal again. Hope this helps if you still havent figured it out

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
If you used unc0ver, you must go onto the unc0ver app and click the little setting icon, and select 'Restore RootFS', then go back and hit the jailbreak button. Once that is complete successfully, there should be no Cydia or any traces of jailbreak on your iPhone.

You then need to go back on the unc0ver app, and deselect everything on the little settings icon - MAKE SURE "DISABLE OTA UPDATES" IS DISABLED. Then re-jailbreak your phone. Now once more, you have to repeat step one and restore RootFS, and when that is complete, you will be able to receive software updates like normal again. Hope this helps if you still havent figured it out

I am unable to download unc0ver from anywhere

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I took my phone to the apple store today and had it updated to 14.4. They were able to simply update without restoring/wiping the phone clean. Should I have had them restore/wipe it clean, will that present problems in the future or complicate things if I try to do the new jailbreak or will I be ok? Really hoping I don’t have to go back to the apple store, I don’t have a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.