Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thrash911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Jutland, Denmark
Hey dear iMac users,

I read that you can change the gfx card on the 24" iMac. Can someone who owns one, confirm this please? And.. If I choose the 2.16GHz CPU - can I later upgrade to a 2.33GHz or higher? I know for sure you can upgrade HD and RAM.. Thanks so much in advance, dear mac users. I so look forward to owning a Mac!! :)

Best Regards / Brian J. N.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Thrash911 said:
Hey dear iMac users,

I read that you can change the gfx card on the 24" iMac. Can someone who owns one, confirm this please? And.. If I choose the 2.16GHz CPU - can I later upgrade to a 2.33GHz or higher? I know for sure you can upgrade HD and RAM.. Thanks so much in advance, dear mac users. I so look forward to owning a Mac!! :)

Best Regards / Brian J. N.

Technically you can upgrade both the graphics and the processor in the 24" iMacs. Realistically, its a big hassle and will more than likely completely void your warranty unless you keep the old chip and graphics card around to put back in in case something unrelated fails. The processor should be relatively simple to replace since they are available in the normal channels. The graphics card, however, is a different story. It uses the laptop for of a replaceable PCIe graphics card. While these are available, they're hard to find, are expensive, and will not have the EFI support required by OS X. I doubt Apple have any plans to offer newer cards as a user installable upgrade in the near future.
If you want the better graphics and the faster processor I'd advise you to get them now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.