Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schoibi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
Hi there

I am using iCloud to sync my stuff across four devices. Since I also use the iCloud Photo Library I have a 200GB storage plan. A few days ago I got a notice that my storage is almost full. However, all my stuff in iCloud sums up to only about 150GB. If a go to the iCloud tab on a Mac or iPhone I can see that there are some 47.7GB in "Documents" stored on iCloud even though my iCloud Drive Documents and Desktop folder is completely empty! Furthermore, if I show the detailed listing of the storage (see photo) I can see that the largest parts sum up to only those 150GB. How can this be? Please help me! Thanks a lot!

Best
schoibi

Attachments

• iCloud.png
    iCloud.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 889

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Check the contents of your iCloud Drive at iCloud.com. There may be some rogue files in there.

schoibi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
The problem is all those folders are empty :(! I guess there must be some hidden files. I checked with console that the hidden files with "." in this folder are not very large...

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
But did you actually check online? I would not assume your Mac is correct.

schoibi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
Yes i did, both documents and desktop are empty...

Attachments

• Desktop.png
    Desktop.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 513
  • Documents.png
    Documents.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 583

schoibi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
I contacted iCloud Support and they could tell me it is reserved space that is not being used. They were then able to delete this reserved space and now 46GB have gone...

seaniepie

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2008
I contacted iCloud Support and they could tell me it is reserved space that is not being used. They were then able to delete this reserved space and now 46GB have gone...

How did you contact them? what number, email or method did you use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.