Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Hi,

I have a strange problem. Since changing to Lion, I have seen a peculiar problem from time to time. It is not consistent, so actually thought it was gone with the latest patch.

I have my MP connected to my Netgear ReadyNAS, and drag files from SD cards etc. to the NAS. If I for instance select 27 pictures, and drag/drop to a folder on the NAS, the finder messes up;

The 27 files are selected correctly, and I drag the single icon with the red notifier that there are 27 files over to the folder on the NAS. I drop the files, and the copying starts and finishes. However, graphically the files are not distributed into the receiving folder, and the single icon (with the 27 files) stays on the desktop???

I can close the folder (sending and receiving), and the single icon with the red "27" stays on the desktop as a ghost. Now I cannot do any Finder selections etc., and I eventually have to relaunch the Finder. When I do this, the ghost icon disappears, the files were copied, and all is back to normal.

What is going on here? It seems to me it is a Lion issue, and not a NAS issue. I connect to the NAS via AFP.

Also, this only occurs when I drag'n'drop. If I select files, then edit/copy, and edit/paste, all is well.

Bo

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Hi,

I am not sure this is the same issue. I am having no other Finder related problems, only this ghosting when I drag'n'drop. OK, it is Finder related, but it doesn't seem to happen when copying to another folder on the MP itself, only when going through AFP to the NAS.

Bo

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hi,

I am not sure this is the same issue. I am having no other Finder related problems, only this ghosting when I drag'n'drop. OK, it is Finder related, but it doesn't seem to happen when copying to another folder on the MP itself, only when going through AFP to the NAS.

Bo
I experienced a similar issue today - Finder got "stuck" and left a half-animated ghost file behind in the destination. Restarting the Finder via a Force Quit cured it.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I experienced a similar issue today - Finder got "stuck" and left a half-animated ghost file behind in the destination. Restarting the Finder via a Force Quit cured it.

Hi,

Have you seen it just that once, or more times? I see it once and a while. I can't recreate it on command, but it does happen more often when I do a "quick drag'n'drop. I.e. if I wait a few seconds before releasing the files onto the receiving folder, there is a greater chance that it will work fine.

Bo

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I have a strange problem.

I've the same problem with the Finder and other applications in Snow Leopard, from time to time. Only a restart of the application (Finder for example) solves the problem. I think the error occurred first after the latest update of Safari (WebKit2) or the Flash Player browser-plugin.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hi,

Have you seen it just that once, or more times? I see it once and a while. I can't recreate it on command, but it does happen more often when I do a "quick drag'n'drop. I.e. if I wait a few seconds before releasing the files onto the receiving folder, there is a greater chance that it will work fine.

Bo
Just that once so far...

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Just wanted to add myself to this list.

I have the exact same thing.... really really strange !

just to add some more observations:
- the ghost files are left behind...."floating" on the screen. Even if you close the window... the ghosted files remain floating.
- the files are actually copied... but if I try to copy additional files from one folder or volume to another, the finder does nothing, (ie it doesnt "collect" or "gather" those selected files/folders into one icon.... and releasing the mouse at the destination volume or folder does nothing)
- force restarting the finder allows me to resume copying additional files, and removes the "ghosted" "floating" icons from the screen

some additional notes :
- I have noticed this repeatedly in the last 24 hours - because I have had to copy multiple files from one external drive to another
- this only seems to happen when copying from external drive to external drive
- in my case... I am copying from a usb 2.0 WD passport to a firewire WD My Passport Studio Pro (maybe something related to firewire?)
- lastly, and this is the most significant to me... is that these problems happened immediately after installing "NTFS for Mac" from Paragon.

Does anyone have this problem with NTFS for Mac or any other program / extension that allows one to copy to Windows formatted NTFS drives?

please also note: that the ghosting doesnt seem to occur when copying to or from the NTFS drives/partitions..... only when copying from volume/folder on one external mac drive to another

alpinadvl

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
Sure enough....a couple of hours later.... it happened again.

enclosed are :

- 2 pictures, showing the "ghost" and "floating" files
- console log at the time this occurred 7:59pm

.... if anyone can read through this, maybe tell me what the console log means if it is helpful ?

thanks

Attachments

• desktop ghost1.jpg
    desktop ghost1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 525
  • desktop ghost2.jpg
    desktop ghost2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 590
  • ghost window.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 580
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.