Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding some how-to information?

I need assistance with creating a bootable MAC OS image and saving as backup on a seperate HD.

This may be silly to ask but please bare with me I'm a PC user attempting to convert to the MAC realm.

I would appreciate any assistance!

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Try out Carbon Copy Cloner before SuperDuper. CCC is freeware while SuperDuper is not.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Blind Buzzard said:
This may be silly to ask but please bare with me I'm a PC user attempting to convert to the MAC realm.

I would appreciate any assistance!

Not silly at all. Welcome. Both CCC and SuperDuper do a great job at cloning. Apple includes a utility in Disk Utility called "Restore", but IMO it's a piece of ****. I've never had success with it after a handful of tries, but I've had hundreds of sucessful clones with both CCC and SuperDuper.

For future reference, Mac isn't an acronym like PC. It's short for Macintosh.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
CCC is the way to go for one-shot, sure-fire clones. Add PSYNCH (the instructions are with it), and you can do a differential, bootable clone in a relatively short period of time.

Another free (not even donationware) option is the crusty-looking but effective LaCie Silverkeeper (have a look at VersionTracker to find it). It's not quite as powerful as CCC, but it'll do a differential, bootable clone from one drive to another, and you can select specific files not to replace, or not to copy.

Silverkeeper's one big advantage for automated, scheduled backups is that it includes the ability to have your Mac wake at a specified time to do a backup, and to execute a backup when you first turn it on if it was powered down at that time.

My Mac wakes from sleep at 12:05 every night and does a complete clone of the boot partition to a partition on a 2nd internal drive, for example, and it's run smoothly since the release of Tiger. If you do something like this, you want to be sure to tell spotlight NOT to index the backup partition, and Silverkeeper not to replace the invisible Spotlight folder on the target drive or it'll end up indexing the whole bloody thing every day.

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
thanks to all

Thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction! I was able to successfully get the image copied with CCC. I also played around with rsynchX, I like the manual use of it but have not had the time to really sink into it.

Cheers!

BB--

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.