Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 26, 2007
I had a situation arise yesterday evening that I thought I should share to make others aware of a potential problem and the solution I came up with.

Problem:
I attempted to redeem two iTunes gift cards purchased in July 2019. The redemption process was initiated on my iPhone by clicking the redemption code in the email. When I clicked the redemption code, the iTunes Store app opened as expected but the redemption did not complete. Instead, the iTunes Store app redemption screen remained open with the code in the redemption input field. I inspected the code and the code was correct. I clicked the "Redeem" button in the upper right several times and nothing happened. There was no error message indicating an already redeemed or otherwise invalid code was being used.

I closed the iTunes Store app, reopened it, and manually entered the code. Same result.

I attempted to redeem the second code using the same procedure. Same result.

I attempted to redeem both codes on another device (iPad Air). Same result.

My spouse attempted to redeem the codes on her iPhone. Same result.

All devices were recently updated to iOS 13.1. I know my two devices were running 13.1.2.

Solution:
Suspecting an issue the iOS 13, I attempted the redemption on my Mac running macOS Mohave. That process completed successfully. (Thank goodness, they were both $200 gift cards we intended to use for purchasing new seasons of several TV shows).

I wonder if anyone else has come across this situation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.