Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechDestroyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2021
I was gifted an iPad when a family member died and I can't wipe it. I was given his passcode but not his email info along with iCloud info, so went in and logged him out but now the iPad is still locked to him because I didn't know I had to Turn Off Find My Phone app! I wonder if I actually turned Off Find My Phone App would I have been all good?

I don't want to bother the person who gave it to me after the death of a loved one. I do know his email address but not the rest of his info, passwords etc. nor for his iCloud Account either. I cannot get a Death Certificate as I read you need. I tried everything I see on the web, please help! What do I do?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If it is activation locked, then you can't do anything with it. You'll need the family's help to remove it from his iCloud account.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Apple will not unlock it unless you have proof of purchase.

We had this issue all the time with our employees locking it and then turning it in when they leave us.

Luckily we had proof of purchase from Apple and the support team will unlock the devices within 24 hours of our request.

Now, we deploy a cloud MDM on all our iPads, iPhones, Macbooks, iMac, Mac Mini, Apple TV - which now we can control, monitor, remote install and wipe/restore/delete users as needed....

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
now the iPad is still locked to him because I didn't know I had to Turn Off Find My Phone app!

If it helps avoid "if only I'd done X" feelings... turning off Find my iPad isn't possible without inputting the relevant apple ID password. So you'd simply have stumbled into a roadblock at an earlier stage.

Reactions: svanstrom

TechDestroyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2021
If it helps avoid "if only I'd done X" feelings... turning off Find my iPad isn't possible without inputting the relevant apple ID password. So you'd simply have stumbled into a roadblock at an earlier stage.
I see, that can only be done with the Apple Password? I did have the iPad passcode, but that was all. I actually just revisited this and can't find all the info, not that is helps at this point.
Thanks guys

icyapples

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2021
I'm not sure if I can post this but I read the rules and it doesn't break any of them (hopefully) and it's legal. There is a way to bypass the activation lock depending on the model now I'm unsure of your model but you can go to appletech752.com which is a real website for this kind of stuff and go to iCloud bypass and choose the tool according to your model you will need a MacBook or your model is unsupported most if not all tools on this website are free so enjoy!

TechDestroyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2021
I'm not sure if I can post this but I read the rules and it doesn't break any of them (hopefully) and it's legal. There is a way to bypass the activation lock depending on the model now I'm unsure of your model but you can go to appletech752.com which is a real website for this kind of stuff and go to iCloud bypass and choose the tool according to your model you will need a MacBook or your model is unsupported most if not all tools on this website are free so enjoy!
I wonder if this is safe?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I wonder if this is safe?
These methods are using jailbreak exploits to bypass Activation Lock, and are not permanent i.e. the device will relock itself if it’s restored or with iOS updates.
It also won’t work with any device with an A12 chip or newer.

In short it’s far better to go to Apple and try to get them to unlock it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.