Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Tyson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I want to gift an iphone 8/X to a family member and their current phone is in the IUP that is under my name and pay for monthly.

When I order online and get a trade-in kit sent to me, how long do i have to return the old phone?

Can I keep the new iphone wrapped till Christmas and send back the old iphone after Christmas?

Thanks.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I want to gift an iphone 8/X to a family member and their current phone is in the IUP that is under my name and pay for monthly.

When I order online and get a trade-in kit sent to me, how long do i have to return the old phone?

Can I keep the new iphone wrapped till Christmas and send back the old iphone after Christmas?

Thanks.

i think you have 14 or 21 days to return your phone :) and yes you can surely keep it wrapped but i think their sim will be deactivated in current phone when you buy the new one (assuming you will be getting it on their number) if you are getting it on your number, then your sim will be deactivated but you can get a new one from your carrier and keep the phone wrapped. once they unwrap it, they can pop in their sim in the phone and can use it!

Banich2

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
San Francisco, California
My old sims have always worked unless I go through the motions of activating a separate, new sim. While it is true that you can only have one active sim at a time (generally), simply buying the new phone won't automatically deactivate the sim card in the phone the new phone is replacing
[doublepost=1513414208][/doublepost]P.S. The only time I've ever activated a new sim is when they changed sizes between 4 and 5 or 3 and 4 or whatever…I always just take the old sim, stick it in the new phone, and turn on the new phone and set it up…I don't know if it's good or bad, but it's worked every time.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
i think you have 14 or 21 days to return your phone :) and yes you can surely keep it wrapped but i think their sim will be deactivated in current phone when you buy the new one (assuming you will be getting it on their number) if you are getting it on your number, then your sim will be deactivated but you can get a new one from your carrier and keep the phone wrapped. once they unwrap it, they can pop in their sim in the phone and can use it!
In regards to the activation part, when you order it from Apple.com, they will not activate it when the phone ships. So your old sim doesn’t get deactivate yet. It will deactivate when you turn it on and enter the carrier info on the screen.

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

Mac Tyson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Thanks for helpful responses. Do you think the best way is to pop in the old sim before turning it on?

Also, do you get the trade-in kit with the new phone or does it come in after?

Thanks again.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Thanks for helpful responses. Do you think the best way is to pop in the old sim before turning it on?

Also, do you get the trade-in kit with the new phone or does it come in after?

Thanks again.

yeah just pop in your old sim and turn it on and you are good. i have no idea about the trade in kit!
[doublepost=1513494228][/doublepost]
In regards to the activation part, when you order it from Apple.com, they will not activate it when the phone ships. So your old sim doesn’t get deactivate yet. It will deactivate when you turn it on and enter the carrier info on the screen.

on IUP it doesnt give you this option. it has to be activated i think!

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Turn off the old phone first, then put the sim in the new phone otherwise is will mess up that sim. If you do, luckily you can put the new sim in and activate with that one. I learned that the hard way.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
on IUP it doesnt give you this option. it has to be activated i think!

This is incorrect. I've done an in-store pick up for the iUP device and it gave me this option of whether I wanted to activate now or activate later. I choose the activate later, and was still able to trade in the device with no issues. Got home and activated just fine.

Same goes for if you do choose order from apple.com and have it delivered to your home. It come pre-activated.

It does not have to be activated upon pick up or when it's shipped.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
This is incorrect. I've done an in-store pick up for the iUP device and it gave me this option of whether I wanted to activate now or activate later. I choose the activate later, and was still able to trade in the device with no issues. Got home and activated just fine.

Same goes for if you do choose order from apple.com and have it delivered to your home. It come pre-activated.

It does not have to be activated upon pick up or when it's shipped.

ohk thats cool! when i bought mine last weekend the guy didnt ask me about this.!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Must be different in different stores. They wouldn’t let me leave the Apple store without the phone being activated unless I bought it outright sim-free...

Last edited:
Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Must be different in different stores. They wouldn’t let me leave the store without the phone being activated unless I bought it outright sim-free...
Yea quite possible. Every Apple store handles it differently I suppose. But then I also think it's different if you choose to order from apple.com and choose in-store pick up. Oppose to just walking to the store and buying as a walk-in. But then it all depends on the Apple store you go to.

Last year when I purchased the 7 Plus as a in-store pick up I was given the option to either activate now or activate later. Same for the 8 Plus I got from iUP back in September and same goes for the X. But then these were apple.com orders for in-store pick up. So I don't know about how they do it for just walk ins. But I'm pretty sure if you did a walk-in and choose to finance on Carrier or iUP, they probably be activated on the spot.

However, in OP's case, OP is purchasing from Apple.com and having it delivered. Therefore in this case, then they ship it out they automatically choose "Activate Later" and that when you receive it and turn it on, then it activates the sim card.

Last edited:

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010

Thanks.

Per apple.com IUP FAQ:

I’m buying an iPhone as a gift. Can I activate the iPhone at a later date? Yes. When you buy iPhone on apple.com with the iPhone Upgrade Program, you can activate it later.

Now my personal experience:

I preordered the iPhone X, upgrading from an iPhone 7 that was already on the IUP. I use AT&T as my carrier. When the X was delivered to my house, all I did was back up my 7 to iCloud, powered on the X, and followed the usual setup a new iPhone has you do when you initially power it on. I used the new sim that came with the X and once the X activated with the new sim, it disabled the old sim in my 7 and the 7 basically became an iPod Touch.

You will NOT receive the trade-in kit at the same time the new phone arrives (at least I didn’t) but I did get it 3 days later. Here is what the email said from Apple regarding the trading in of my 7 with the trade-in kit:

When your new iPhone ships, we’ll also send you a Trade-in Kit. It’ll include a secure box, a prepaid shipping label, and instructions to prepare and pack the iPhone you’re upgrading from. You’ll then take the sealed box to a FedEx Store or contact FedEX at 1-800-GoFedEx (1-800-463-3339) to arrange for pickup. You must send the iPhone to Apple within 14 days of receiving your new iPhone. Please note that you will not be able to complete your trade-in at an Apple Store.

I hope this information helps you, good luck and Merry Christmas!

Reactions: Mac Tyson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.