Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Just wondering if this would work as I expect...

Say I have this setup.

Cable Modem > Router w/ 10/100 4 port switch > Gigabit switch > Client machines.

Am I correct that my network between the machines will run at full gigabit speed despite the presence of the 10/100 router?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, there's no obvious reason to me why it shouldn't work. Just want to be sure :eek:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
As long as it's a switch, then yes, all the boxes pluged into it should talk to each other at the fastest speed their NICs can talk at.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
edesignuk said:
Just wondering if this would work as I expect...

Say I have this setup.

Cable Modem > Router w/ 10/100 4 port switch > Gigabit switch > Client machines.

Am I correct that my network between the machines will run at full gigabit speed despite the presence of the 10/100 router?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, there's no obvious reason to me why it shouldn't work. Just want to be sure :eek:

I work at 3Com, and you'll have to have this sort of setup when you need a Gateway to access the internet some something else. Ya - as long as you 1Gb NIC's are all connected on the 1Gb switch you'll be fine - the clinets will send data to each other at 1Gb.

These days, you can put a 10/100 printer on the same switch - and the switch keeps the clients on 1Gb, but leaves the printer at 10/100. Pretty nifty stuff. :)

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
It depends on the switch. If the the switch is an 8 port switch with all ports occupied, and the switch only has a 4Gb backplane, you can't really have all clients utilizing full gigabit speeds, since the backplane will be a bottleneck.

Just check the backplane to ensure that it at least meets the total number of ports multiplied by speed. So, if you have an 8 port switch, it should have at least an 8 Gb backplane.

Code:
Backplane speed = Number of ports  x  Highest connection speed possible

EDIT: I should add that the 4Gb backplane scenario above will work. However, if you even think that all clients may need full line speed, then your best bet is to research the switch in question and get a fast enough backplane.

FireArse said:
I work at 3Com, and you'll have to have this sort of setup when you need a Gateway to access the internet some something else. Ya - as long as you 1Gb NIC's are all connected on the 1Gb switch you'll be fine - the clinets will send data to each other at 1Gb.

These days, you can put a 10/100 printer on the same switch - and the switch keeps the clients on 1Gb, but leaves the printer at 10/100. Pretty nifty stuff.

I'm not trying to be rude, but this type of stuff has been done for years, not just "these days". :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.