Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Hello! my air 2 on 13.3 is crashing on a daily basis in all the apps i use (Termination Reason: Namespace SPRINGBOARD, Code 0x8badf00d) It's all over the logs - is anyone seeing the same?

I set up as new and only installed Notability, PDF expert, Office and the error continues to occur. A quick google search shows it seems to be the OS terminating the apps. I dont think it's a RAM issue since the issue doesnt happen on a 2018 iPad with 2gb RAM/A10. My friend saw this happening on her air 2 as well but upgrading to the ipad pro, no issues.

Tried downgrading the apps to ones built with ios12 SDK (and those were stable on iOS12 but crashes in13)

Code:
Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note:  EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace SPRINGBOARD, Code 0x8badf00d

Termination Description: SPRINGBOARD, scene-update watchdog transgression: application<com.gingerlabs.Notability>:578 exhausted real (wall clock) time allowance of 10.00 seconds | ProcessVisibility: Background | ProcessState: Running | WatchdogEvent: scene-update | WatchdogVisibility: Background | WatchdogCPUStatistics: ( | "Elapsed total CPU time (seconds): 25.670 (user 25.670, system 0.000), 41% CPU", | "Elapsed application CPU time (seconds): 10.258, 16% CPU" | )

Triggered by Thread:  0

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have an Air2 that ran with no issues your describing on 13.3.. I'm actually impressed on how well it does on iPadOS.. I just updated to 13.3.1 and everything seems to be working well so far

saudor

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
I have an Air2 that ran with no issues your describing on 13.3.. I'm actually impressed on how well it does on iPadOS.. I just updated to 13.3.1 and everything seems to be working well so far
Yeah my air 2 overall runs super fast (especially with the clean install). The crashes usually happen when there’s a stutter/microfreeze and then cuts to the home screen.

It’s not a deal breaker on other apps since I can just re-open it but with notability, it’s way more annoying since I end up losing lecture recordings/large chunks of notes

I upgraded to 13.3.1 just now so I guess ill see if it still does that. Otherwise, I might have to dust off my trusty old iPad 2 and use that!

ben-z

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2019
Yep I'm seeing this multiple times a day. It's annoying when it happens during lectures. I've emailed Notability support about this issue. (It would probably help if you send your logs to them too).

I'm glad they've been replying to my emails so there's still hope...

Some rough googling is telling me that this may be due to a watchdog timer going off during some synchronous networking on the main thread in the application:

saudor

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Yep I'm seeing this multiple times a day. It's annoying when it happens during lectures. I've emailed Notability support about this issue. (It would probably help if you send your logs to them too).

I'm glad they've been replying to my emails so there's still hope...

Some rough googling is telling me that this may be due to a watchdog timer going off during some synchronous networking on the main thread in the application:

It’s basically happening on every fairly intensive ios app under 13 (PDF expert is a big one too) - even with a clean install with the 2 apps. There’s always a momentarily stall and then the app shuts down with this message. (even apps compiled with the iOS12 SDK does this too). Turning off wifi, closing all apps, avoiding any kind of multi tasking/control center use and making sure the device doesnt sleep does help with the notability crashing.

Usually notability is good at returning messages but they’ve ignored all the opened tickets as I have been sending them logs. Quick googling shows that this was a common issue in iOS12 and iPad Air 1. Upgradng to iPad pro does solve these crashes even on the same install apparently

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.