Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bmanderle

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 9, 2021
My wife and I are on a family sharing account with my kids for iCloud. I am the organizer and she is a parent. As such she can’t do everything I can as the organizer. I want her to have unrestricted access to my iCloud account so she can modify stuff and do whatever she needs to. It’s my understanding that there can only be one organizer and switching it doesn’t seem real convenient.
If I give her my password what else would she need to have access to my iCloud like it was her own? add her phone as trusted device on my account possibly? If the notifications have pop up can they go to both phones? Thanks

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Yes, an iCloud account can only have one organizer at the time. I’m curious, what kind of access and management your wife needs to have? I am the organizer of my family, but I almost never have to manage the settings of the account itself. It’s the same for my girlfriend, which is an adult, and she never complained of a setting she needs to manage.

Also, I strongly recommend you to not share your iCloud account with anybody, even your wife. It will be more difficult to manage your personal devices and notifications, but I wouldn’t do it for security reasons. iCloud accounts can contain very sensitive informations, and you can’t know for sure what can happens with this data in the future if you share the access

Bmanderle

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 9, 2021
I work out of town and am only home a few days a month. I am in a area that has very little cell phone coverage. I want her to be able to decide what’s going on with account. Like sharing apps, books, movies, setting screen time, etc.

Being out of town all the time has created some challenges for our marriage. Her being able to make changes to family sharing will be more convenient for all of us and having access to everything will put her mind at ease.
I get what you’re saying about privacy but I’m ok with risk.

Reactions: fwmireault

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I work out of town and am only home a few days a month. I am in a area that has very little cell phone coverage. I want her to be able to decide what’s going on with account. Like sharing apps, books, movies, setting screen time, etc.

Being out of town all the time has created some challenges for our marriage. Her being able to make changes to family sharing will be more convenient for all of us and having access to everything will put her mind at ease.
I get what you’re saying about privacy but I’m ok with risk.
I don't see a problem (privacy) with an established married couple, at least there shouldn't be any secrets. I think what could happen if she is not very careful is that her personal account data could end up getting mixed with yours, and that could cause a lot of problems with notifications, purchases, etc. She needs to make sure when she logs in as you on her phone, that she does not merge the data when it asks her if she wants to.

Bmanderle

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 9, 2021
Can one be logged into two iCloud accounts on one phone? Can I have her phone as a trusted device so I don’t end up getting my account locked because Apple thinks it’s suspicious activity

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.