Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I’m currently selling a phone on eBay and I was curious because a few people asked for the IMEI number, is that safe to give out when selling a phone?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Scammers will hit up sellers for info that they can then use to legitimize a bad device. I’ve been asked for IMEI and serial number. I don’t give it but I primarily sell on Swappa and they verify the iPhone/smart phone is clean before approving it for sale so the buyer doesn’t need to do that independently.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
take this for whats its worth...This is my personal experience. I was selling an iPhone on Ebay a few years ago, unknowingly i gave the IMEI to person asking for one so they could "verify" the phone. Long story short, during the time the auction was going on, this person went to Apple, got a replacement phone somehow with AppleCare and claimed my phone as stolen and Apple Blacklisted it, so the phone was a dud.

Do not give out the IMEI of your device to anyone not knowing their true intentions!!!!

• Wow
Reactions: ian87w and Ta0jin

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
As a reference point, Swappa will not allow a buyer to see the number until the deal has been made, some say it does, some say it doesn't matter, either way I always use Swappa and have never had an issue.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Not unless said person wanted to really go out of his or her way to mess with you for no good reason, outside of trying to scam others.
The problem is that people tend to really go out of their way to mess with others on the internet.

So no, I would never give the IMEI to someone before selling. If that's a dealbreaker, then that's fine with me, I will just sell to the next person instead.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t give it unless the buyer actually paid for the phone. Before that, definitely not. I work for a company that sells on eBay and we let the buyers know for security purposes we cannot give out any IMEI if the product was not purchased. If they get mad, then that’s their problem.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Yeah, I wouldn't give IMEI numbers to strangers. I'm not sure, but I heard people can clone IMEI numbers. Too many tricks that I'm not comfortable giving it out to strangers.

Then again, if I was a buyer, I would be wary as well. It's not a good situation for both buyer and seller. Since there's no such thing as swappa in my country, I only end up trading in my old phones instead of privately selling them.

ThemePro

macrumors demi-god
May 1, 2010
No, don't give it out. Note in the listing that the IMEI is guaranteed clean and IMEI, serial numbers, and proof of any warranty will only be provided upon sale.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Then again, if I was a buyer, I would be wary as well. It's not a good situation for both buyer and seller.
Totally relatable for people to be wary, but PayPal pretty much always backs the buyer if there is a problem. However even telling the prospective buyer that though sometimes isn’t enough to allay their concerns.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
No one needs to know your IMEI number apart from you, apple and your carrier if they ask for it.

Tell the drop kick to take a hike, sell the phone to someone else.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
No one needs to know your IMEI number apart from you, apple and your carrier if they ask for it.

Tell the drop kick to take a hike, sell the phone to someone else.
This is why so you can check if the phone is what they say it is and how old. If someone won't give to to me i tell them to take a hike.

Reactions: LFC2020

RannenUAZi

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2021
I remember buying a phone from a person (iphone 5s), so he made an appointment for me near the office. After asking why next to this place. He said he didn't want anyone to know about his location and other data. In general, a strange type. In general, I do not see any reason not to provide imei!

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I’m currently selling a phone on eBay and I was curious because a few people asked for the IMEI number, is that safe to give out when selling a phone?
Don’t sell iPhone on eBay sell on swapa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.