Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Texas
Not sure if this has been posted. But was just wondering whether jailbreakers were willing to give up there jailbreak for the Apple Watch.

We (jailbreakers) all would hope that there will be a jailbreak before the Apple Watch officially become available on the 24th, but just want to open a discussion about it.

loyalist

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I've been wondering about this too. Can the watch be on iOS 8.3 while your iPhone on a JB version of a lower iOS? I thought the watch just connects with the Bluetooth only.

I hope I don't have to lose my JB.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I think you would need the apple watch app. I'm guessing there's a chance that the Apple Watch could be ported to iOS 8.1.2 by one of the developers

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah no way you can use the watch without the software, and unfortunately Apple has it baked into 8.2. Even if jailbreak developers could port the apple watch to older versions of iOS, it would probably be difficult to fool the App Store into allow you to download watch apps made for 8.2 or above (at least I can't recall this ever being done by the jb community previously).

I bought the watch. Definitely not updating until I have it in my hands. Who knows, by then there may be another jailbreak.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Apple could also put some form of software on the watch to make it refuse to pair with a jail broken device.

There's plenty of apps that refuse to run on jailbroken devices and I know there's things like TSprotector etc but it doesn't always work and if the software to detect the JB was on the watch then it would be useless.

I absolutely don't think it's outside the realms of possibility given how much Apple hate jail breaking. So I don't think it's a massive stretch to assume they'd do something along those lines. Meaning if you want to use an apple watch you have no option but to run shock iOS.

ShawnTXDFW

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Dallas/Ft Worth
Giving up Jailbreak for Apple Watch...

The thought of having to lose my JB just irritates me. I know I'm not going to have a choice though since I've already pre-ordered my Apple Watch. So many tweaks and possibilities that makes me wonder why I have to lose my JB in the first place? As much as I've been following all the news on the Summit and reading up on any possible JB for iOS 8.2 it seems now that it's going to be really hard given that Apple just patched a pretty big exploit that is only going to make it harder. Not to mention that 8.1.3 is causing problems for some users.

The only thing I can be rest assured on I guess is the fact that BOTH my iPhone 6+ and iPad Air 2 are JB. So, I can manage with losing the JB on the iPhone, but I will keep my iPad JB. I guess for now, all I can do is sit on this JB until my Watch gets here, then I'll say goodbye to my JB.

-Shawn

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I'm sure many are contemplating the same as you are now.

I'm not convinced Apple "hate" jail breaking as they themselves 'lend' tweaks and put them into their official iOS ,and note/mention certain groups of people for finding exploits to create a jail break.

You'll miss your tweaks as a trade off to use your nice new shiny  Watch.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I would be upgrading except for one condition and that is tetherme. As long as I get a free hot spot, I will never ever upgrade even if it means not having the watch.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
I'm surprised there isn't a lot of discussion about this, I ordered the apple watch but I don't want to lose my jailbreak ;(

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I'm surprised there isn't a lot of discussion about this, I ordered the apple watch but I don't want to lose my jailbreak ;(

Me too.

After visiting my  store yesterday and being able to use the  Watch I'm not convinced I'll be buying into one of these tbh.

For me....... It's nice -> but not £300+ nice.

krause28

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2015
Will have to return the apple watch...

I was really hoping that there would be a jailbreak or tweak to allow it. But one person made a great point. If the apps require 8.3 then there is no point. I can't give up certain jailbreak tweaks. It would drive me crazy...

Activator (Apple needs to allow this!!). There are many others I have installed but this one is and has been the standard beyond standards. I use it to adjust volume, brightness, music controls, easily sleep phone, especially since the button is hard to reach on the 6 plus....I could probably get by without but I would hate it. So when my watch comes, I can't even play with it...it would not do anything :(

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
In the last few years, I must admit that the iOS is getting closer and closer to what I need. e.g. Now we have notification center in lock screen, Control center, and personal hotspot, etc. These are the functions that why I want to JB in the old days, even though JB can still make them better now, but I can live without it.

And I do make myself use less and less JB hacks if not necessary just in case there is no JB for whichever iOS I need (e.g. upgrade to a new iPhone that with no JB avail).

ATM, I basically only use CCSettings, VirtualHome, and f.lux, which make my iPhone better, but not really a "must have" for my daily use.

On the other hand, the Apple Watch give me some extra functions that really fit my needs. So, it's time for me to go iOS8.3 and leave JB until it's avail again.

But one thing really annoy me a bit is that my 6+ is the Japanese version. There is no way to silent the shutter when taking photos (except via JB). But again, it's just a bit annoying, nothing really affect me in terms of functions.

Last edited:

Andydigital

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2013
I'm actually considering cancelling my SS Link Watch order as I'm now finding it hard to justify the price of the Watch. Losing my jailbreak on my 6+ is another one of the reasons I'm leaning towards changing my mind.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I have a Watch on order (Delivery Date April 24). I don't plan on ditching the jailbreak to use it, so I may return\sell\gift it if there's no jailbreak.

I wasn't overly excited about the watch anyhow, I just pre-ordered one in case something so cool I couldn't resist came out. That hasn't happened, and I'd rather keep the jail break.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
I have the same issue pending. My watch should be here on Friday. The demo of 8.4 jailbreak gives me hope but I think I will be a couple weeks without the hacks. It is not the end of the world but I actually have my phone currently running pretty good and it's annoying but necessary to give it up.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Yes, I would have no choice. I'm not about to keep my $400+ watch in the box just because I value a few tweaks. I'm putting that watch to use and getting my money's worth.

Shadow Runner

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Yes, this is disappointing but I will be updating my iPhone to work with the watch. I will hope a jailbreak comes in the near future as there are some things I really like about jailbreaking. Namely being able to record all in and out going phone calls. Most of the tweaks are just visual or removing things I don't want on the phone, nothing too big worth keeping. Looking forward to finally getting the watch though!

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
People can always buy a second phone. I carry the 5s and 6 plus (both jailbroken) but if I was going to get an apple watch (short battery life means I won't at this time) I would simply put the 5s to stock and keep the jailbreak on the 6 plus.

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
People can always buy a second phone. I carry the 5s and 6 plus (both jailbroken) but if I was going to get an apple watch (short battery life means I won't at this time) I would simply put the 5s to stock and keep the jailbreak on the 6 plus.

Do you have sims for both?

It would seem you would need 2 carrier contracts or you wouldn't have internet access on both.

Seems like a lot of extra time and money to have two phones.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008

It would seem you would need 2 carrier contracts or you wouldn't have internet access on both.

It's not that much money really. And the time is just go in, get a phone, activate, setup, and go. I'll be getting the Galaxy S6 right away too as I want to play with an android phone and it looks pretty good. Taxes in a plan is 70 bucks a month for it, unlimited internet, text, etc. so really not a big deal. And it knocks about 500 bucks off the cost of the phone.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

IMO, money still not the biggest issue. The main point of having the Apple watch is to extend the iPhone's function (e.g. able to get notification / msg / call without pulling out the iphone). And most likely the user want to extend the function of the normal used phone, but not buy an extra phone to use the watch (which means doing nothing to the normal used iPhone).

If we put the normal sim card in the old 5s, than why we still carry the 6+ around? The 6+ basically doing nothing, but just serve as an backup device. Most likely the user want to use the 6+ as the basic phone, but then the watch can't pair up with it, and can't extend it's function, then what's the point of having the watch?

So, I don't think that carrying 2 iPhones is a good way to solve this problem. Unless the user only want the watch to serve as a watch, but not really a useful smart watch :D.

Or may be use the phones in a more complicated way. e.g. Forward all call from 6+ to 5s, it may able to solve part of them problem.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
IMO, money still not the biggest issue. The main point of having the Apple watch is to extend the iPhone's function (e.g. able to get notification / msg / call without pulling out the iphone). And most likely the user want to extend the function of the normal used phone, but not buy an extra phone to use the watch (which means doing nothing to the normal used iPhone).

If we put the normal sim card in the old 5s, than why we still carry the 6+ around? The 6+ basically doing nothing, but just serve as an backup device. Most likely the user want to use the 6+ as the basic phone, but then the watch can't pair up with it, and can't extend it's function, then what's the point of having the watch?

So, I don't think that carrying 2 iPhones is a good way to solve this problem. Unless the user only want the watch to serve as a watch, but not really a useful smart watch :D.

Or may be use the phones in a more complicated way. e.g. Forward all call from 6+ to 5s, it may able to solve part of them problem.

I use both phones intermittently. I prefer the 6plus for watching videos, the odd game, surfing, etc. For calls I use my 5S as it is a bit easier to hold in the hand. When i'm driving the bluetooth can hitch to either so it doesn't matter which i use. If i'm biking i use the 5s. And just have the phone forward to my 5s in the event i get a call from the 6plus. To be honest, I don't talk a lot on the phone, mostly email, sms, etc. unless I'm driving.

I see what you are saying though. Interestingly, the other day i was reading an article about a samsung watch that actually holds your sim card. Kind of a neat feature I think.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Quite true, it may be the way to serve as a temporary fix. I just think deeper about this issue.

The watch is mainly to receive things, sometimes the user may reply on the watch, but should not use it as the basic way to send things out.

So, since both phone will log in to the same Apple ID, receiving msg will not be an issue. All notification base on Apple ID (e.g. Reminder) should also works without any problem. Emails also not a problem.

Forward cards can also fix the SIM card issue.

5s is good enough to provide other functions e.g. maps or fitness training.

Therefore, most of the functions actually works (or being extended). Of course, it is not perfect. E.g. You still can't remote control your 6+ camera via the watch (which is a much better camera then the 5s). And the watch may not able to receive all instant msg (some apps do not allow multiple login, if I prefer to use that app in the 6+ because of it had a bigger screen, then it won't work on the watch). But it really depends on the user why (s)he want the watch and how (s)he use it.

For basic functions like checking email, receiving calls, sending out the drawing / heart beat. This work around actually works very well.

So, to sum up.

Pros: most functions will work, have an extra iPhone as backup, able to pair up the watch with a JB 6+ indirectly.

Cons: extra SIM card required, cost more money, not all functions on the 6+ is extended, required to carry an extra iPhone to "pair up" the 6+ and watch, the watch is rely on the device that has less battery life.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Quite true, it may be the way to serve as a temporary fix. I just think deeper about this issue.

The watch is mainly to receive things, sometimes the user may reply on the watch, but should not use it as the basic way to send things out.

So, since both phone will log in to the same Apple ID, receiving msg will not be an issue. All notification base on Apple ID (e.g. Reminder) should also works without any problem. Emails also not a problem.

Forward cards can also fix the SIM card issue.

5s is good enough to provide other functions e.g. maps or fitness training.

Therefore, most of the functions actually works (or being extended). Of course, it is not perfect. E.g. You still can't remote control your 6+ camera via the watch (which is a much better camera then the 5s). And the watch may not able to receive all instant msg (some apps do not allow multiple login, if I prefer to use that app in the 6+ because of it had a bigger screen, then it won't work on the watch). But it really depends on the user why (s)he want the watch and how (s)he use it.

For basic functions like checking email, receiving calls, sending out the drawing / heart beat. This work around actually works very well.

So, to sum up.

Pros: most functions will work, have an extra iPhone as backup, able to pair up the watch with a JB 6+ indirectly.

Cons: extra SIM card required, cost more money, not all functions on the 6+ is extended, required to carry an extra iPhone to "pair up" the 6+ and watch, the watch is rely on the device that has less battery life.

Great summary. I was born in the 70s and remember having an AM transistor radio, a rotary phone at home, and payphones to make calls to people. So I'm thinking that having a watch that after you buy the strap, etc. costs twice what I paid for my first car is not a necessity, when my phone does all it does and more. But I have to admit, it is a pretty cool gadget, and if they could make the battery last a week, I will definitely purchase one. Till then, I'll keep my jailbreak, it just adds too many things to lose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.